• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance with Umbrella Company and Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    IMHO the training course would not be allowable as it is not specific to the work that you will be doing - a first aid course could be taken in conjunction with any role and even for a purpose that's not work related
    An entirely reasonable response in terms of Umbrella Company Expense policy and/or the guidance an accountant may give a contractor client with own company.

However, you can see where expectations arise around deductibility. Imagine OP had been recruited on the books by ConstructionCo and they sent him on a first aid course during the first month so he can be appointed person. He wouldn't be expecting the course to be P11d'd, and neither would the payroll department I suspect. Equally ConstructionCo wouldn't expect the course to be disallowed. When I had more staff and used to send a couple on First Aid at Work courses there was no question of it being a BIK for them or blocked deduction for me.

Its one of those "tax nothings" that come up from time to time. The contractor, PSC or umbrella, comes off worse.

Comment

Please don’t think I am trying to argue with you guys, I am not, just finding this difficult to understand. I honestly see the training course costs as expenses incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily in performing my business duties.

The 3 day first aid course is for people to be appointed first aiders in high risk work, construction is considered high risk work. I will be appointed first aider on contracts I undertaken, I will never be an appointed first aider on any project that I am not getting paid to do. Another course is Health and Safety for Construction Managers again, this will only ever be used when I am working.

IMHO the training course would not be allowable as it is not specific to the work that you will be doing - a first aid course could be taken in conjunction with any role and even for a purpose that's not work related
      when I read the “could be” I ask myself is it yes or no. And in this case I say no. The training is been undertaken for a specific role. The Health & Safety laws set out what training is needed for what positions. On the HSE’s website it says

“Health and safety training should take place during working hours and it must not be paid for by employees.”

In my case if I was to pay for courses after paying PAYE (so if there not seen as expenses) it would be the employee paying for the training. I know the HSE are not HRMC and HRMC are the ones that matter here.

Please, I hope it doesn’t come across like I am arguing, I am not. I know you don’t make the rules and are just passing on your knowledge of them. I appreciate your help. Thank again

Comment

If you think you should be able to claim it then present your case to HMRC - explain you'll be working through an umbrella company, give them details of the course and the contract you'll be working on and see what they say
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Declanmorgan1982 View Post
          Thanks for your replies.

Can you tell me why I can’t write down the training course fees as expenses?

What I taught would happen is the company I’m working for would be invoiced for hrs done X hourly rate. From the invoice amount my expenses would be deducted (Accommodation, Transport, Banking, Phone, Umbrella Fee etc and I taught any training costs.) Then employer’s NI (13.8%) is paid. After that I pay employee’s NI (12%) & PAYE (20%), whatever is left is cash in my pocket.
          The training courses are essential to me taking the job so can’t understand why they wouldn’t be counted as business expenses.

Yes sal I realise it’s only around 20% saving but all helps.

Lisa, the company told me there is the possibility of more work at a different location and if I take much more than 8 weeks to do this job I would anticipate no more work from them to me so based on this I would say I don’t intend to work through an umbrella solely for this contract.

Again thanks sal & Lisa.

Did anyone else read that para with an Irish accent?
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Declanmorgan1982 View Post
            The Health & Safety laws set out what training is needed for what positions. On the HSE’s website it says

“Health and safety training should take place during working hours and it must not be paid for by employees.”

In my case if I was to pay for courses after paying PAYE (so if there not seen as expenses) it would be the employee paying for the training. I know the HSE are not HRMC and HRMC are the ones that matter here.
            Technically there isn't a conflict there. If HMRC deem the training as BiK then the employer can pay the NI on behalf of employee. However your point is well made. I would forward the HSE guidance to your umbrella. If they say its BiK then your choices are either to suck it up or find an umbrella that takes a different view. You could also claim via personal tax self-assessment but presumably one reason to go umbrella is so as not to need bothering with this.

If you think you should be able to claim it then present your case to HMRC - explain you'll be working through an umbrella company, give them details of the course and the contract you'll be working on and see what they say
            Frankly if an umbrella expected me to deal with HMRC re. expenses policy then I would be looking for another umbrella. The answer should be a clear yes or no.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              Technically there isn't a conflict there. If HMRC deem the training as BiK then the employer can pay the NI on behalf of employee. However your point is well made. I would forward the HSE guidance to your umbrella. If they say its BiK then your choices are either to suck it up or find an umbrella that takes a different view. You could also claim via personal tax self-assessment but presumably one reason to go umbrella is so as not to need bothering with this.

Frankly if an umbrella expected me to deal with HMRC re. expenses policy then I would be looking for another umbrella. The answer should be a clear yes or no.

I already gave a clear no He didn't like the answer so referred him to HMRC
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
              X