• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beginners guide on hiring an accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ltd View Post
    I am due to hire an accountant for my IT-contractor limited company to do all accounting work plus give good advice on all tax questions. Any clues on how to hire a good one for reasonable price and avoid a rubbish one? What are questions to ask? Any recommendations? Should accountant be available locally or would email and phone be enough? Or should I do everything on my own if it is straightforward? (then any links on DIY accounting welcome)
    Dont fall for the shyte offered by the big internet based IT Contractor types. Spend a bit of time investigating your local accountants. Despite opinion to the contrary, some local small accountancy business do know and understand the contractors model.

You first need to ask do they charge for an initial 30 minute consultation? Dont be put off if they do as somethings that are free arent very good! Do they have other IT contractors on the book? Do they understand the IT contractor model? Do they know enough case law to fight any IR35 investigation? How would they structure your company, what strategies would they put in place to minimise any tax take?

At the end of the day, I think you need a one to one personal relationship rather than some distance voice on the end of a phone \ webchat.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
    X