• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lots Of Questions From VAT man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB
    Agreed that is the normal case. But output tax and input tax are entirely seperate things. It is quite possible to have one without the other. We were net reclaimers for years. Most business was exempt with foreign bodies but that does not prevent the reclaim of associated input tax.

Maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying.
    No, I was just referring to the usual case. True you can have one without the other, but only if you are a business. If you're not, I don't see how you can reclaim any VAT.

Comment

That's right. You don't have to charge VAT in order to reclaim it, if you provide zero-rated goods and services.

There is no great rush to get VAT registered, as far as I can make out. If you have some up-front costs (as outlined previously) then it is better to reclaim the VAT on these when you first register, having traded for a while without charging VAT (below threshold). Depending on how much you buy versus how much you can keep back on the flat rate scheme, then you should do better this way. When you've lower outgoings (set up costs) then register for VAT and go for flat rate, which means you keep a percentage of the output tax but cannot reclaim any input tax.

So what's the rush ?
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by expat
        No, I was just referring to the usual case. True you can have one without the other, but only if you are a business. If you're not, I don't see how you can reclaim any VAT.

You can only register for VAT if you in business. Do you mean limited company?

Comment

I recon it will take 8 months to hit the threashold, if I'm not regsitered for VAT during the time, once I hit the threashold will I have to back date it to cover the last eight month I didnt charge it ?

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
            You can only register for VAT if you in business. Do you mean limited company?
            If you like. What I mean is that I don't understand, when you said HMRC were concerned to prevent private individuals from reclaiming VAT on consumer goods, how that reclaiming would work.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              If you like. What I mean is that I don't understand, when you said HMRC were concerned to prevent private individuals from reclaiming VAT on consumer goods, how that reclaiming would work.
              It doesn't. It's fraud. eg. Mr X is an permie who buys a lot of DVD's and home entertainment equipment for his own use. He fancies getting the VAT back so he pays £100 for a limited company and applies to get VAT registered, saying that he's going to set up a home entertainment outlet. Claims back all the VAT he's paid, liquidates the company. Fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1
                I recon it will take 8 months to hit the threashold, if I'm not regsitered for VAT during the time, once I hit the threashold will I have to back date it to cover the last eight month I didnt charge it ?
                No.

You are only collecting VAT on behalf of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. They do not require you to collect the VAT until your turnover has reached the correct levels (there are some exceptions, which shouldn't apply). You can, however, on registration reclaim VAT on goods and services which you have bought already. 3 years goods, one year services.

If you haven't been trading, you don't need to worry about VAT registration or VAT invoicing for a while unless you haven't got any start up costs in which case the VAT flat rate scheme from day one should be better for you. You should make sure you start collecting VAT receipts.

Comment

wasn't like that im my day - grumble, grumble...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

They messed me about a bit when I was registering in July. My accountant created an invoice for me that showed his fees for the next twelve months. I also sent them a letter from the bank thanking me for setting up a business bank account with them. I followed this up with a phone call and that did the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP
                      They messed me about a bit when I was registering in July. My accountant created an invoice for me that showed his fees for the next twelve months. I also sent them a letter from the bank thanking me for setting up a business bank account with them. I followed this up with a phone call and that did the trick.
                      Great will try that

Comment

Working...
                      X