• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello, and here is my newbie question...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will your manager think about you if you say you want to leave and come back next week as a contractor?

Apart from the fact they will still be one down in the headcount for the project if you merely swap over?

If he wanted to, he could use it as a way to get rid of you. Turn up on the Monday and "Sorry Mr Contractor, the project has changed and we don't have any work for you".

Comment

Originally posted by Percy View Post
      Oh dear, I'm probably being clear as mud. Start again.

I am currently working for my employer on a 'permanent' contract.
      A fixed-term contract vacancy has been advertised.
      I'm considering applying for it.

The vacancy is with my current employer but is in addition to my role.
      The vacancy has been advertised by an agency.

All I wanted to know is, what's the best approach, go via the agency like other applicants, or talk to my manager directly?

Ta
      If this is really what you want, then talk to your employer, since they are the client and you have a relationship with them.

As others have suggested, make sure you absolutely understand what you are considering before you do it, though.

Good luck.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

b0redom
        Re IR35: before I came onto *my* role, it was filled - by a contractor.
        Also, the advertised vacancy is for an additional role, one which involves call-out, out-of-hours work - which my current role does not.

Comment

Oh dear, I'm probably being clear as mud. Start again.

I am currently working for my employer on a 'permanent' contract.
          A fixed-term contract vacancy has been advertised.
          I'm considering applying for it.

The vacancy is with my current employer but is in addition to my role.
          The vacancy has been advertised by an agency.

All I wanted to know is, what's the best approach, go via the agency like other applicants, or talk to my manager directly?

Ta
          Fixed term contracts are still employment contracts though...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Fixed term contracts are still employment contracts though...
            Indeed. I'm missing the point, though...?

Comment

Indeed. I'm missing the point, though...?
              Because this is a contractor forum and fixed term contracts are not what we are about.

We are all generally directors of our own limited companies.

Comment

b0redom
                Re IR35: before I came onto *my* role, it was filled - by a contractor.
                Also, the advertised vacancy is for an additional role, one which involves call-out, out-of-hours work - which my current role does not.
                I'm not sure how any of that is relevant to your IR35 position, to be honest.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you are any good in the current role then you may encounter some resistance. If not, then they will jump on the chance to offer you lesser employment rights.

IR35 isn't an issue if this is PAYE FTE contract as we suspect. That's not what most people refer to as contracting, indeed it's often referred to as the disadvantages of both worlds. Think carefully before you leap.

Speak to the hiring manager (not necessarily your current manager). Enquire to "find out more" about the role and take it from there. Possibly you could transfer into the role and they would advertise your current position as FTE instead.
                  Last edited by Contreras; 17 October 2014, 07:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                    If you are any good in the current role then you may encounter some resistance. If not, then they will jump on the chance to offer you lesser employment rights.

IR35 isn't an issue if this is PAYE FTE contract as we suspect. That's not what most people refer to as contracting, indeed it's often referred to as the disadvantages of both worlds. Think carefully before you leap.

Speak to the hiring manager (not necessarily your current manager). Enquire to "find out more" about the role and take it from there. Possibly you could transfer into the role and they would advertise your current position as FTE instead.
                    Ta
                    Toodle-oo!

Comment

Working...
                    X