Giant won't accept receipted claims for evening meals with overnight stay - why?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Posts 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threespines View Post
    Please explain!
    HMRC are proposing new legislation, which is currently under consultation, which means that if your client or agency or umbrella company has the right of supervision or direction or control over you, you won't be able to claim for tax relief against travel and subsistence costs from April 2016
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  2. #12

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    HMRC are proposing new legislation, which is currently under consultation, which means that if your client or agency or umbrella company has the right of supervision or direction or control over you, you won't be able to claim for tax relief against travel and subsistence costs from April 2016
    Thank you, Lisa. An ... interesting development!

  3. #13

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threespines View Post
    Thank you, Lisa. An ... interesting development!
    That's certainly one way of putting it
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  4. #14

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    700
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    104

    Default

    Well I've worked for a number of the big consultancies perm in the past. Generally they contract their consultants as home based contractually, and expense all their travel whenever they leave the home address - working on client sites and so on. How are umbrellas any different?

  5. #15

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Well I've worked for a number of the big consultancies perm in the past. Generally they contract their consultants as home based contractually, and expense all their travel whenever they leave the home address - working on client sites and so on. How are umbrellas any different?
    They're not but consultancies will be exempt from the new legislation. Possibly because they are involved in so many Public Sector contracts
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  6. #16

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    700
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    They're not but consultancies will be exempt from the new legislation. Possibly because they are involved in so many Public Sector contracts
    Thanks for the reply Lisa.

    That just leaves more questions. What happens to contractors contracted into consultancies? Currently many are on similar expenses deals. What is the legal definition of a consultancy that sets them apart? What will stop umbrellas morphing into "consultancies"?

    Sounds very badly thought through and ill advised. Why should I take a role far away from home if I have to spend taxed money on the travel and accommodation? So it will reduce workforce mobility which is exactly what the country doesn't need.

    Cheers

  7. #17

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Thanks for the reply Lisa.

    That just leaves more questions. What happens to contractors contracted into consultancies? Currently many are on similar expenses deals. What is the legal definition of a consultancy that sets them apart? What will stop umbrellas morphing into "consultancies"?

    Sounds very badly thought through and ill advised. Why should I take a role far away from home if I have to spend taxed money on the travel and accommodation? So it will reduce workforce mobility which is exactly what the country doesn't need.

    Cheers
    Sorry it took a while to reply CoolCat - have been away.

    You're right it is badly thought out. As far as a legal definition of a consultancy is concerned, I have no idea - I don't know if there is one. HMRC's opinion is

    "professional service firms that second staff to clients will not be caught by the new rules as their business is not substantially in the supply of labour"

    I can see businesses going to considerable lengths to rebrand so that they can be considered as a consultancy and therefore strengthen their position in the market place
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  8. #18

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    26,913
    Thanks (Given)
    1254
    Thanks (Received)
    1025
    Likes (Given)
    4377
    Likes (Received)
    3935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post

    "professional service firms that second staff to clients will not be caught by the new rules as their business is not substantially in the supply of labour"
    The only polite thing I can say about that is bull.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  9. #19

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    The only polite thing I can say about that is bull.
    Well quite
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.