• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Optimum Virtual Machine workstation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Therefore past experience is not valuable. It might suck, but things have moved on a lot recently so it could be totally different.
    Yeah, I'm sure it has. Just don't want to fill my Host O/S with lots of trial software while I find the optimum setup, though one of the strengths of VMs is I can reinstall the host once the optimum is known without affecting the VM guests.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It seems weird to have so many VMs to me. Not quite sure what you gain having dev, video on separate VMs.
    Primary reason is to isolate tasks so when new versions or alternative software come out I only have to rebuild or replace the affected VM. Keeps everything neatly segregated and uncluttered of older software. I can also be sure that resources aren't being hogged by software I am not currently using, as the other VMs will be turned off when not required, rather than have them all on sitting idle.

Also having many smaller VMs allows me to copy individual ones to my laptop if I want to do a bit of Dev while on the road, without faffing about with syncing stuff.

Got rid of the video related VM as I need to use the host o/s to take full advantage of hardware. The strength of virtualization (emulating generic hardware for maximum compatibility) is also it's primary weakness. The extra resources needed to host multiple guest o/s isn't really an issue now you can get ram and hard drives very cheaply.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
    X