• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email Client Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several months ago I switched from Outlook (2003) to Gmail and I'm so glad I did. The problem of being away from my main PC and needing to refer to some old email didn't bite me very often, but it's darned inconvenient when it happens.

Plus I now have the option of using a smart phone to access my emails.

By setting up additional POP3 accounts in Gmail, I've consolidated several email accounts into one central repository.

And the search facility: WOW! Much better than anything I've ever experienced with Outlook
    (search just works, and works very quickly).

This advice, on getting all my old emails into Gmail, worked a treat!
    Simplified Guide to Importing All Your Archive Email Into Gmail | Zoli's Blog

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions...

Don't really use Calendar much, so I'll try Thunderbird, and maybe the gmail integration option

Comment

I'm using windows live mail client and I think it's pretty darn good. I found Outlook to be slow and bloated however the windows live mail client is pretty snappy and does the job very well.

Cheers

Comment

Outlook 2010 by itself is only £90

Microsoft Outlook 2010 (PC DVD): Amazon.co.uk: Software

If you buy it now, it will save you the bother of regretting to buy it later on.

And next time you buy a laptop, check carefully what software comes on it!

Re: outlook being slow and bloated.
          Check your data file sizes, it is worthwhile keeping them down to a reasonable size and archiving old emails into a completely different data file.
          This has the added benefit of speeding up search in windows 7 as its not having to index a 6gb mail file
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Re: outlook being slow and bloated.
            Check your data file sizes, it is worthwhile keeping them down to a reasonable size and archiving old emails into a completely different data file.
            This has the added benefit of speeding up search in windows 7 as its not having to index a 6gb mail file
            This is very user unfriendly and typical MS!

Yet another reason to move to Gmail IMO.

Comment

Been using Pegasus for years - not to everyones taste I suppose but I like it and it has the added benefit of not being another Outlook clone
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
              X