• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptops + Virtual Servers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptops + Virtual Servers

I might need to run a few development virtual servers on my laptop next year.

Before I look at possible upgrade options, does anyone have actual experience on the performance gains of quad core vs dual core?
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 17 November 2010, 13:59.
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I might need to run a few development virtual servers on my laptop next year.

Before I look at possible upgrade options, does anyone have actual experience on the performance gains of quad core vs dual core?
    Your disk will be your bottleneck before your processor.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      Yep. I would suggest getting a laptop with a couple of hard-disks and 'kin tonnes of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
        Fixable by using an SSD?
        I really don't want a 17" laptop!

EDIT: I found a company that makes hard drive enclosures for the DVD drive bay
        http://newmodeus.com
        Last edited by Spacecadet; 17 November 2010, 19:34.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

The problem you have (and it's the same with SSD) is contention. If your VM's are trying to read/write at the same time.

You can get away with it with a single drive, all I'm saying is that your disk performance will affect your laptop long before your compute performance.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/200...mance-tip.html
          Last edited by Incognito; 18 November 2010, 01:09.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

If they are just development servers, then is max. performance vital? I have a number of development (and production servers) running in the Amazon Cloud (which runs Xen for virtualisation) and they all use the "small" machine image because for most things "small" is good enough.

You may well find your existing laptop is sufficient for what you need. Have you test installed any VMs on it?

I always look at what Dell has on special offer at the time I am buying a new laptop - because sometimes these upgrades are virtually given away - particularly at their end of quarter/year. If you run a lot of simultaneous hosts then plenty of RAM would be my first priority.

Be careful if you use your laptop on battery much - then you need to consider whether the Quad core processor is going to reduce battery life.

Have you decided what host operating system you are going to run on the laptop yet?

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireman View Post
              If they are just development servers, then is max. performance vital?
              WHS. If the VMs are doing nothing 99% of the time, the only real impact they'll be having is the amount of RAM they'll use.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If what you are doing is memory intensive then you'll need lots of memory, at least enough to support the host OS + whatever is allocated to the VMs without swapping.

Laptop disks are a bottleneck full stop, I've found that even using a separate external disk for the VMs. In my desktop I have 4 x 7.2k disks in a RAID array which improves things, however the best performance I have obtained is from the SSD in my laptop.

In fact when I got my first SSD I had it in an external enclosure (I bought it specifically to speed up an install of some commercial software on top of a windows + oracle DB VM that would run for 6-8 hours before failing) and apart from the install taking less than 20 minutes once I worked around all the foibles that caused it to fail I found that the windows running in the VM with the virtual disk located on the SSD was more responsive than the host OS installed on a 7.2k rpm laptop drive and I ended up using it for all sorts of everyday tasks.

For what I use it for (VMware workstation with linux or windows OS, oracle or SQL server databases, various J2EE app servers / web apps, often with another VM holding windows hosted dev tools, as well as a bit of faffing with computationally demanding stuff like FPGA synthesis in my spare time) I would certainly spend the money on an SSD over a quad-core processor, although of course having both wouldn't hurt.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Yep. I would suggest getting a laptop with a couple of hard-disks and 'kin tonnes of RAM.
                  WHS. I've seen a dramatic difference from using 2 disks in my tower PC. When it was still a single disk system, doing anything hefty in the background would slow the installation of Windows into a VM to a snail's pace. Spreading the workload across 2 disks can make a huge difference.

A colleague recently got one of those combined SSD + hard disk jobbies for his MacBook Pro (a Seagate if I remember correctly). He fired up Word to demonstrate the difference, and I kid you not, it was there just as fast as other machines would bring an already launched app from the background. I gather that these combo disks are quite intelligent; they are using the SSD component as a cache for the hard disk component.

It wasn't outraegously expensive either.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    I gather that these combo disks are quite intelligent; they are using the SSD component as a cache for the hard disk component.
                    Do any VM hosts allow you to use RAM as a virtual disk? A lot of the time with VMs you want to use it, then revert back to the previous snapshop, and rather than writing to the VHD and then reverting it, it would make more sense to not write anything to disk and treat changes as temporary.

I have a build machine in a VM, and the total size of the checkout, temporary build files etc. is about 2.5GB. In theory if the host could emulate a hard disk in RAM, the whole thing could sit in RAM and be much faster, without the guest being any the wiser.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X