• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plastic Bottles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic Bottles

On my desk sits a bottle. Not always the same bottle but always a clear Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottle into which I decant water from a communal water cooler every morning which I then proceed to imbibe during the course of the working day.

Now, after a period of time, I have to replace this bottle as I find that a slightly solvent like aroma arises from the chemical breakdown of the plastics therein.

My hunch has always been that this process is much exacerbated by exposure to ultraviolet light but little did I realise this Saturday afternoon, as I left Budgens with the weekly shop, that I was on the cusp of having my theory confirmed during a visit to a Trowbridge pub where I was to have a chance encounter with one of Britain's leading fonts of packaging related knowledge.

The Dusthole was unusually empty for a Saturday afternoon save for a figure at the bar who was hunched over his pint deep in conversation with himself.
    On hearing me enter the bar, he turned to greet me and introduced himself as Martin Haggage, travelling sales rep for Linpac Rigid Plastic Containers Ltd.
    He then informed me with a broad sweep of his hand indicating the multifarious bottles, boxes and cartons lined up behind the bar, that he had a story to tell about every item of packaging on display in that pub.

And indeed he did; no sooner had my bottle of Wadsworth's Bishops Tipple been placed in front of me than a quick fumble in his pocket and a flutter produced a set of cards detailing the permissable colour range in the red spectrum for that particular label.
    This colour range was barely discernible to the untrained eye and I immediately realised that I was in the company of a man possessed with an extraordinary gift.

Impressed, I pulled up a stool and made myself comfortable and listened to Martin talk about his involvement in R&D on the Copperhead Cider project two decades earlier.
    Martin's tales of the early days of the project conjured up images of pipe smoking boffins poring over drawing boards as they pooled their collective wisdom to overcome a particularly thorny problem.
    The cap (or closure, as Martin constantly corrected me ) was to be in the shape of the head of a copperhead nail and the dimensions of this unorthodox closure were not compatible with the exisiting
    bottling rig. The Genius of their solution lies in its simplicity. Essentially the cap fitting was to become a 2 stage process with a normal ribbed closure being machine attached with the copperhead
    being fitted over the top of the closure at a later stage.

Gratefully accepting the offer of a pint, I listened to Martin describe the revolution in packaging that was the PET bottle.
    Completely unbreakable, he insisted, for their weak point is the cap and no matter from what height the bottle is dropped, it's always the cap that goes first.
    Indeed, this is a routine quality control test performed in packaging labs up and down the country. Martin also will often take a cross section of a bottle and measure its thickness with a paris of calipers as too thin a gauge can cause the bottle
    to balloon when filled with liquid, particularly under pressure.

My head swimming with all these packaging facts (not to mention the Bishop's Tipple) it was as I was walking up to the Legion to meet the wife that I realised I had completely
    forgotten to ask Martin to confirm my theory on the role of UV light in the degredation of PET bottles, so the mystery continues for the time being.

Comment

I've seen autogenerated spam pages that made more sense than Gricer's bastard son.

Comment

I have an empty squash bottle that i use, each day i fill it to the brim with council pop before coming to work, i generally chuck them every few months or so but it is a question i have asked myself many a time if they start to break down over time, so please get yourself back down the pub and find out

Comment

Why not just buy a CamelBak bottle, they're well worth the money
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I've seen autogenerated spam pages that made more sense than Gricer's bastard son.
            Oh come on, ladies and gentleman. That was more interesting than "my lunch" and other tales of similarly dull personal activities that are posted on here.

By the way, I dropped into the Red Lion in Dagnall recently for a crafty pint, and was treated to an enjoyable exhibition of Morris Dancing in the car park by the combined talents of the St Albans and Enfield Morris Dancing clubs.

I hadn't realised, until someone explained to me afterwards, that the name Morris actually derives from Moorish, in reference to our North African friends of yore. I had always assumed it was invented by early Morris car workers as something to do on their day off.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
              Now, after a period of time, I have to replace this bottle as I find that a slightly solvent like aroma arises from the chemical breakdown of the plastics therein.
              You need to replace them more often. I think the chemicals given off are getting to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
                I find that a slightly solvent like aroma arises from the chemical breakdown of the plastics therein.
                It's not a chemical breakdown of the bottle, it's the halitosis given off by the bacteria you've transfered to the warm, moist neck of the bottle from your mouth.

It's the common cause of 'water-cooler' tummy trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Oh come on, ladies and gentleman. That was more interesting than "my lunch" and other tales of similarly dull personal activities that are posted on here.

At least I never typed so many letters in my lunch posts... I mean "bread and water" isn't exactly tiresome to read

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    Why not just buy a CamelBak bottle, they're well worth the money
                    WHS - buy a reusable bottle and wash it very regularly.

Also sterilise it with either miltons or white vinegar.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X