• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC advice on 2015/16 tax returns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC advice on 2015/16 tax returns

We have become aware that HMRC is offering unsolicited (and unregulated) advice on how to complete a 2015/16 tax return.

They write and say that they have "information" that you were using a tax avoidance scheme and that you "should" complete your return as though any loans were income.

If you don't they threaten an enquiry. They then make some outrageous suggestions about the 2019 proposed tax charge which is not in the statute book (it will be but not perhaps as they hope) and suggest that penalties might be coming your way.

I've not seen in the 40 years I've been working in this job such a blatant and obvious piece of misleading material from HMRC. We have raised the issue with senior HMRC people and will be going to every one of the several hundred MP's we can legitimately contact to protest this attempt at bullying letter.

A draft response will be on the Big Group resources page by Friday.

You would have thought that coming so soon after HMRC was handed a 7 figure legal costs bill for the loose lipped Mr Hartnett's briefing of the press, they would take a little more care.

Perhaps they think that so long as they're spending your money it doesn't really matter.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Working...
X