• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Death of Grass

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    That was exactly the reason Montpelier attracted so many people in the naughties! To escape IR35.
    They are regretting it now. Or are they?
    Precisely. That's the most revolting aspect, really. HMRC are 100% responsible for the whole industry even coming into existence, yet will recognize NONE of it. By trying to micromanage contractor's behaviour, they set in motion a whole chain of unintended consequences (who would have thought??), and here we are.
    Now you'd think they may have learned a lesson here? Perish the thought!
    Instead, let's invent a narrative diabolizing an entire category of the workforce, and shove it down the public throat by sheer brute force.
    And of course, let's double down on IR35, GAAR, and all the tulip that didn't work in the past.
    Hopeless.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

"Lots of "contractors" are now going to be bent over and take a sixteen incher(width) without lube. Good. I hope they come onto CUK and give a good whine so I can laugh at them."

You're all heart Brillo and hopefully one day someone will do the same to you.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffordthedog View Post
        Have you seen the way he walks
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

"Lots of "contractors" are now going to be bent over and take a sixteen incher(width) without lube. Good. I hope they come onto CUK and give a good whine so I can laugh at them."

They already did. With the CUK baying mob right behind them. Its payback time.

Comment

To be fair, us Avoiders have come in for plenty of flack from sections of the oh so smug Ltd brigade on these forums. Plenty of told you so's and you deserve all you gets. Brillo might have been generalising and a tad OTT but I get the sentiment even if I don't entirely agree ...

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              To be fair, us Avoiders have come in for plenty of flack from sections of the oh so smug Ltd brigade on these forums. Plenty of told you so's and you deserve all you gets. Brillo might have been generalising and a tad OTT but I get the sentiment even if I don't entirely agree ...
              This! I did not agree with my own post. I don't wish anyone harm. Unlike the CUK mass hoards who came after us in 2008. It is unfortunate that what happened to us is happening to them. But predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                This! I did not agree with my own post. I don't wish anyone harm. Unlike the CUK mass hoards who came after us in 2008. It is unfortunate that what happened to us is happening to them. But predictable.
                I think it is trickling down, albeit to a lesser extent. I never really understood the hostility tbh.

Personally when contracting everything I did in terms of split divis, co car for non earning spouse etc was generally tax motivated. It was simply a general movement of my income into the capital taxes regime.

very efective it was too.

I was never under any illusion that this was what was intended and expected action eventually. It isnt in my view particularly different to a scheme

Comment

Was not around in 2008 and can't comment.

Here the situation is different.

The Government has writ large and clear that they see contractors as an affront to their revenue gathering efforts and are doing their best to collect tax as though they are employees but deny them the right to be employees.

The truth here at the moment is that they will succeed.

This website reaches a few thousand and has perhaps less than 100 active. IPSE says its reaches 30,000 but I've no evidence of that. Other contractor groups have a population probably a bit less.

Without one body able and willing to fight the corner on all fronts the next 18 months will see a revolution in how contractors operate and I suggest a reduction in overall numbers.

I get frustrated on the tax side of things. There are essentially two approaches. One is to litigate and the other is to negotiate. Both have good and bad points.

however the litigation side of life is riven into perhaps 5 or more groups. They're all fighting the same points and would be stronger together but they're not interested. Why? Many reasons but fees will be near the top.

On the negotiation side we're making progress but again are hampered because many people think that they're either better off keeping their head down or think that staying with the scheme provider somehow helps. Neither of these reasons is valid.

Anyway, I'm not here for the schardenfreuder but to try and help.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I'd like to see the following happen.

1) Government advertising of the issues with tax avoidance schemes on TV, press. If they can find the money to advertise about remembering to fill in your self assessment...

2) HMRC helpline for new/existing contractors and a whistleblower option on dodgy companies.

3) The companies than run schemes would have to deposit 50k into a HMRC holding account while they get official sign off from HMRC that what they are doing is legitimate. That would get rid of the QC opinion. Yearly review to make sure they haven't deviated from their agreement.

4) Scheme providers who peddle without HMRC sign off to be personally liable for fines/prosecution.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      Was not around in 2008 and can't comment.
                      Try starting a thread now on "fair tax share" and you will soon get the message. The CUK massive - particularly general - will try to hound you down. They don't understand the principal that it is the duty of every taxpayer to minimize their tax liability. It is quite amusing that is you asked Joe public whether PSCs should be allowed the vast majority would say they PSCs are disguised employees and that HMRC are quite right. Never mind the rule of law.

Of course if we listened to the mob we would have to bring back hanging. Ban caravans. And plenty of other things that are wrong.

Back in 2008 anyone who protested was hounded and harassed. Especially by the PCG(IPSE) mob. When I went limited I joined PCG forums and was shocked to see the abuse that was being hurled at us. I won't name names here(only because I have had several run ins with the mods and I am probably on the verge of a ban) but for a PCG director to hurl such abuse is a disgrace. My official complaint was denied. A PCG cover up.

Anyway, DR and I stuck it out. A few others joined. We swapped emails and that turned into NTRT. I fell by the wayside very quickly - but the NTRT committee have done amazing work. Especially the chairman who has been incredible!

I do hear very positive comments about what you have done too! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                      X