• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC flexes new powers on contract and freelance workers in £5.5bn raid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsB1974 View Post
    I don't think their powers extend to that, do they?
    Yes they do

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ry-of-debts--2
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsB1974 View Post
      I don't think their powers extend to that, do they?
      Extract...

"This briefing explains how HMRC will recover tax or tax credit debt directly from the bank and building society accounts of the small number of people who refuse to pay, and the safeguards that will be applied."

Does refuse to pay mean can't pay in HMRC ideology???
      http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

If you've got less than 5k then it looks like they won't take anything

Comment

Originally posted by njwilli3 View Post
          If you've got less than 5k then it looks like they won't take anything
          From your bank account. Or your company bank account. Or the total of both.

Does not mean they won't make you bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post

Does refuse to pay mean can't pay in HMRC ideology???
            You should know by now LR, anything goes with these clowns

On a more serious note. I for one wouldn't put it past them. Especially with their history of admin cock ups to date !!
            STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Thanks for sharing the article. I wonder if this would also include private pension funds? Or indeed any state pensions?

I'm a few years away from claiming the pension, and I understand HMRC can adjust your tax code so that they can recover any tax debts via your income including pension *income*, but I'm curious to know if they can just dip in to my funds and tax out what's owed on my APN...

Comment

Working...
              X