• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiries: Bedouin/Redstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Pay the APNs and await the outcome of other EBT court cases.
    I guess you mean "await the outcome of other EBT court cases before taking your own case to court"?

(no such a thing as a Follower Notice from the taxpayer to HMRC, unfortunately).
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      I guess you mean "await the outcome of other EBT court cases before taking your own case to court"?

(no such a thing as a Follower Notice from the taxpayer to HMRC, unfortunately).
      With most people it will probably be

Pay the APNs and then do nothing.

Very few will pro-actively fight their case.

Comment

What, if anything, do you think HMRC will do for those who do pay and then do nothing?

I can't imagine they'll want to give up on all that juicy interest and penalties, but on the other hand it does open them up to losing and having to give the money back

Comment

Yes - I have no doubt that is what HMRC's fancy behavioural models predict.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by slatt View Post
            What, if anything, do you think HMRC will do for those who do pay and then do nothing?

I can't imagine they'll want to give up on all that juicy interest and penalties, but on the other hand it does open them up to losing and having to give the money back
            Once they have collected the tax, through the APNs, I would expect HMRC to grind to a virtual halt.

It will be down to taxpayers to take the fight to HMRC if they want a resolution.

Comment

Once they have collected the tax, through the APNs, I would expect HMRC to grind to a virtual halt.

It will be down to taxpayers to take the fight to HMRC if they want a resolution.
              So to pay the basic amount minus interest and penalties - this may suit some folk and act as a CTD going forward?

Comment

What will HMRC genuinely do to someone who has no way of paying with no assets?

Comment

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
                  What will HMRC genuinely do to someone who has no way of paying with no assets?
                  They could take it gradually through the tax code allowance, I guess

Comment

Originally posted by vern19 View Post
                    They could take it gradually through the tax code allowance, I guess
                    That's how they can collect tax now so that would make sense but some of the amounts must be huge and it could literally take forever. Making someone bankrupt will not actually achieve anything for HMRC though either.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbionRovers View Post
                      So to pay the basic amount minus interest and penalties - this may suit some folk and act as a CTD going forward?
                      Indeed it might.

Comment

Working...
                      X