• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement Opportunity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fisher case important for us. HMRC has appealed agains Anne fisher and Peter & Stephen fisher have appealed against HMRC. Date of receipt in UTT 15th and 14 Jan 15. Awaiting details on hearing date now.

Comment

Any news on the Rangers Appeal date yet ?
      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
        Any news on the Rangers Appeal date yet ?
        I think there is a procedural hearing next week - possibly 3 Feb, so some way off before any outcome. If they lose, HMRC will of course appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Many promoters have shut up shop leaving users to fend for themselves.

Unfortunately there are a lot of cowboys in the scheme business.
          Exactly. If your scheme promoters are going to tribunal on your behalf then you're very lucky.

Comment

Ok, so I received my settlement calculation on Friday.

The first point is that IHT is not included ("There is no IHT charge up to and including [today's date]") but the threat of IHT looms if any of the following event occur: 1) loan write off, 2) any other event that makes the loans worth less, 3) it is ten years since the trust received funds.

So rather than offering 'finality' we now have an unknown IHT liability and will be in the hands of HMRC forever. Apparently.

Secondly, if you take the Settlement Opportunity and pay in instalments you pay 1% over and above the prevailing rate meaning it would ultimately cost you more to settle than not.

This is insanity. Poorly thought out and poorly executed. If you we're thinking of settling, forget it. I can't believe HMRC could be quite so thick.

Comment

And they call it an "opportunity".

Comment

What is this nonsense.

Settlement opportunity should mean finality.

So in 10 years time you'll get stung for IHT?

What the fark is that shower of sh1te up to?

Comment

This isn't a one-off, the charge occurs every ten years until the loans are written off.

Comment

Yes, and then you get another brown envelope with a demand!

Comment

Originally posted by Boobetty View Post
                      Ok, so I received my settlement calculation on Friday.

The first point is that IHT is not included ("There is no IHT charge up to and including [today's date]") but the threat of IHT looms if any of the following event occur: 1) loan write off, 2) any other event that makes the loans worth less, 3) it is ten years since the trust received funds.
                      This IHT is paid by the trust not you. So the question then is have you effectively indemnified the trustee for this? If not, why do you care? If you have then I'd also ask what other costs you I've indemnified them for.

Comment

Working...
                      X