• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment Consultants, discuss.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reformation
    I'd just like to get a feel for your feelings on the topic.
    To put it simply it's a lot cheaper and a lot less work to outsource my marketing to an agent than do it myself and I do both.

Comment

Overall most act like (and probably were recently) barrow boy pimps who lie lie and then lie a bit more, are unetical as hell and only time they even start to show you some decent curtesey and respect is when it comes time for renewal, and then many times still try to cheat you and/or the client.

There is the odd decent one you find every now and then, who actually calls back to keep you updated on the progress of a submission, even if it only to give bad news, and these are the types i appreciate, but they are only about 0.01% of the total.

Found a new one like this last week, shocked the hell out me when he called first thing this morning to say sorry for not calling on friday but client had not got back to him, just for that little touch he was added to my equivilant of "prefured supplyers" list

Agents in my opinion have things back to front, with wineing and dinning the contractor when they are well into the contract, when all i really care about from the agent will normally happen even before the first day of work (with exception of getting paid on time), aka decent description of position and calls/email to let contractor know current status of application (like really how long does it take to send standard form email to say things like "sorry not forwarding your cv" or "sorry your application has not been sucessfull due to client rejection)", willingness to accept compromise on the contract, we are not trying to screw them, generally we are looking for fairness and to be as ir35 friendly as possible (avoid most of the large and nortoious agencys for the last reason alone).

Just as agent has better things to give loads of updates to contractors every time they call, we have better things to do than chase them up all the time. Knowing we will actually get some feedback from them, especially when it's a negative would stop alot of those calls. And really all this would take seconds and be a lot cheaper than taking me to lunch in an attempt to regain my goodwill, as by this stage they have generally lost it as i now just view them as another pimp taking a cut from the money i am earning, not as the guy who provided a real service to me at the start and earned his money.

As they say, first impressions count and agents nearly always give a bad first impressions and rarely, if ever recover from it.

Comment

I've been fecked over by agents in the past but I can't fault my existing one. From timesheet signed, posted and money in the bank 1 week later (!) to taking me out for a ruby and beers. Thats my kind of agent, and that works because I will put contacts his way when needed.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Improved communication between Contractors and Agents

Originally posted by reformation
          I'd just like to get a feel for your feelings on the topic.
          Just thinking,

it would be good if the Jobserve -> your job applications -> Track my applications feature was two way. E.g. Agents could close down applications and contractors would know if applications are still current or not. Rather than the current fire and forget, black hole syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
            Just thinking,

it would be good if the Jobserve -> your job applications -> Track my applications feature was two way. E.g. Agents could close down applications and contractors would know if applications are still current or not. Rather than the current fire and forget, black hole syndrome.

Yeah i agree, saves wasting peoples time

Comment

Agree with Ancient, I've always found Nesco to be good; seem reasonably honest and open, always professional on the phone - no tricks or bullsh1t about how they are the greatest (unlike Computer People, who always come across as the Don Kings of contracting).

Hunter Solutions....the name rings a bell....

Comment

Originally posted by voron
                Agree with Ancient, I've always found Nesco to be good; seem reasonably honest and open, always professional on the phone - no tricks or bullsh1t about how they are the greatest (unlike Computer People, who always come across as the Don Kings of contracting).

Hunter Solutions....the name rings a bell....

Have we spoken before maybe?

Comment

"kids that are trained by a 30 something that used to sell cars in dagenham and lucked into recruitment when the industry was booming when a strategically shaved monkey could do the job"

Had the experience a few years ago where I picked up a contract in person, the agents suggestion since I was just done the road at the time, but unfortunately he hadn't printed it off when I got there so ended up being led through the main office to the printer.

All I can say is that it gave a somewhat interesting perspective, reminded me of battery-chickens, one huge call-centre with hundreds of them on the phone trying to sell, sell, sell.

Nesco though, as mentioned above, I've found to be one of the most honest, margins published, no hassle for references etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                    "kids that are trained by a 30 something that used to sell cars in dagenham and lucked into recruitment when the industry was booming when a strategically shaved monkey could do the job"

Had the experience a few years ago where I picked up a contract in person, the agents suggestion since I was just done the road at the time, but unfortunately he hadn't printed it off when I got there so ended up being led through the main office to the printer.

All I can say is that it gave a somewhat interesting perspective, reminded me of battery-chickens, one huge call-centre with hundreds of them on the phone trying to sell, sell, sell.

Nesco though, as mentioned above, I've found to be one of the most honest, margins published, no hassle for references etc.

Yep thats exactly what it's like in bigger agencies ;-)

Comment

Suggestion

I also have similar problems when dealing with agents. I was wondering if we could all pool our knowledge of agents and build up a list of reputable agents.

I've found Aston carter and Wreay very professional. Lexstra on the other hand was one of the worst I've dealt with.
                      Last edited by Arun V; 17 October 2005, 17:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X