• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another post about CV writing services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another post about CV writing services

Lots out there. Can anyone recommend a good one? Been googling it all evening. Word of mouth is best indication.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

They're useless for contractors, as they're all geared up totally for salaried employees.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I would suggest that you are better off doing this yourself.

Have a look through the "Jobs" section of the CUK Navigation over there ---------------------------------->

There is some excellent advice in there.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Lots out there. Can anyone recommend a good one? Been googling it all evening. Word of mouth is best indication.
        I agree with what has already been said. Also have a look at

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddwh2cfp_337tmkjcd

This is my CV minus the personal details. My CV is based on what this site has suggested. Bear in mind that Google Docs messes around with the formatting, it is a lot better than what it appears on the site.

I have been advised by a credit agency to remove the address from my CV as this could lead to possible Identity theft. This can be seen as good advice, especially as some hiring managers don't know what a shredder is.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          They're useless for contractors, as they're all geared up totally for salaried employees.
          Well then I'm baffled. Someone on here posted recently

"If your not getting interviews there's something wrong with your CV, if your getting interviews and not gigs there's something wrong with your interview technique"

I have had one interview since being benched last November. I got offered, but am now getting d*cked around by the agency so it may well have gone begging by now. Advice is to keep on looking.

As a general rule, I get around 10 calls a week, mostly on a Wednesday afternoon for some reason. Of these 10 calls, 6 of the pimps say I'll put you forward and send you my contact details so we can stay in touch. They never do. I also never hear another thing.

This is why I am suspecting my CV. It occured to me that if everyone else had nice "professionally" written ones then maybe these were beating me to gigs.

I think I'll do likewise and share mine on google docs so people can see what we're dealing with here.

EDIT: Here it is

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhnxdk6c_30gdd3ftfj
          Last edited by suityou01; 1 February 2009, 09:05.

Comment

I think I'll do likewise and share mine on google docs so people can see what we're dealing with here.
            Do it, minus the personal details, and if you post a link I'm sure people here will be able to suggest ways to improve it.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Do it, minus the personal details, and if you post a link I'm sure people here will be able to suggest ways to improve it.
              Tis done. See edit. Cheers.

Comment

Tis done. See edit. Cheers.
                Immediate thoughts - too fussy (too much effort to read it), and no summary (in contracting, that's a big no-no)

Assume agents are lazy, make it easy for them
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  I agree with what has already been said. Also have a look at

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddwh2cfp_337tmkjcd

This is my CV minus the personal details. My CV is based on what this site has suggested. Bear in mind that Google Docs messes around with the formatting, it is a lot better than what it appears on the site.

I have been advised by a credit agency to remove the address from my CV as this could lead to possible Identity theft. This can be seen as good advice, especially as some hiring managers don't know what a shredder is.
                  Jolly decent of you to post this old chap. 10 out of 10 altruistic marks.

(Any chance of a screen-shot to see how you formatted it too?)

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                    Immediate thoughts - too fussy (too much effort to read it), and no summary (in contracting, that's a big no-no)

Assume agents are lazy, make it easy for them
                    There's a technology summary. I also only expanded on my most recent roles, and summarised the rest. Can you be more specific? Do you mean a blurb all about me at the top? Its already more than two pages.

Comment

Working...
                    X