• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bullying by Manager Contractor ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"bullying" is a strong term. What has he done for you to make this accusation? Give some examples.

I disagree with the advice to go to your friend first. I don't think going over someones head should be the first step. I'd deal with him directly first and if that doesn't change, then maybe escalate it.

Comment

Originally posted by metallica View Post
      Just to add - Apparently the "lead" was fired/ made redundant from his previous role due to similar issues.
      But they took him on anyway - matter of time before the waters clear for you then. Coffee with the PM, don't go in guns blazing - ask for advice, it shows deference and respect. Keep working and billing and wait for the outcome. If it becomes untenable, raise it with the PM that it's become untenable and you'll have to potentially look elsewhere.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by metallica View Post
        Is your wife hot ?

yes, but that's beside the point

I rest my case

Milan.

Comment

Sub-contract to AtW.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            1. Punch up in the car park
            2. Knob his wife
            3. Key his car
            4. Head down, keep invoicing

Any or all of the above would be deemed acceptable.
            Friday cakes coated with chocolate laxative.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Friday cakes coated with chocolate laxative.

before we solve the problem we need to understand if Metallica is the cause or the victim, so far I am leaning towards the former

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                You first mistake is allowing yourself to be managed by a contractor. You don't want to report into a contractor if you can avoid it.
                Wait. What is this nonsense about being "managed" and "reporting into" (never mind whether it's by a contractor or not)???

You're a contractor, yes? You have a contract, with a schedule of work. You deliver the work, get your time sheet signed, then invoice.

You do not (or certainly shouldn't) "report into" or be "managed" by anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  Wait. What is this nonsense about being "managed" and "reporting into" (never mind whether it's by a contractor or not)???

You're a contractor, yes? You have a contract, with a schedule of work. You deliver the work, get your time sheet signed, then invoice.

You do not (or certainly shouldn't) "report into" or be "managed" by anyone!
                  So the person who gives you direction (and tasks), signs your timesheet and decides if you get extended. What do you call that person? That's the person who you want to be a permie.

I operate in the real world. Where one calibrates ones modus operandi to the team that one is playing in. I don't pull out my contract and tell them "that's more than my jobs worth".

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                    So the person who gives you direction (and tasks), signs your timesheet and decides if you get extended. What do you call that person? That's the person who you want to be a permie.

I operate in the real world. Where one calibrates ones modus operandi to the team that one is playing in. I don't pull out my contract and tell them "that's more than my jobs worth".
                    As far as lead goes that could be a contractor though.

I have been in the situation where I have lead projects after selling them into clients.
                    May be an upgrade, data modelling aggregation exercise, or whatever.

You then bring in a team to do the work, largely chosen by yourself, out of a pool of people you know.
                    It is quite feasible for the lead to be a contractor in that particular instance.

To be clear, no signing of timesheets, contract extn decisions....etc.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      As far as lead goes that could be a contractor though.

I have been in the situation where I have lead projects after selling them into clients.
                      May be an upgrade, data modelling aggregation exercise, or whatever.

You then bring in a team to do the work, largely chosen by yourself, out of a pool of people you know.
                      It is quite feasible for the lead to be a contractor in that particular instance.

To be clear, no signing of timesheets, contract extn decisions....etc.
                      You da bizz nizz!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X