• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Hours a week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    Take the higher paid 48 hour one. And do a strict 9.5 hour day.

I usually work 9-7 and bill 40 hours because I'm on a day rate. Who does 9-6? Certainly in London you would be marked as a clock watcher.

So what I'm saying is , even if you pick the 36 hour one, you'll end up doing 48 hours at your stage in your career.

Caveat - this is unusual so I would be asking a lot of questions in the interview. Do your research on the gig.
    F**K THAT!

The only time I came across hours like this was at Bloomberg and I turned them down at the interview stage.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

When I'm in the office, start just after 8, out the door at 5, that's in IB.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

WTS. Sod that.

My last one said 40, but then it was WFH so I've no idea how they thought that would work. I've always thought that I'd probably be most productive if I worked the morning, say 4 or 5 hours and then took the afternoons off. But office culture doesn't work that way.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          In the UK, I never had more than 37 hour week. Sometimes 35. Other places, 40 to 45 hours. Anything above 40 is pointless, since most people just stretch the work they do to fit.
          Very true for development. For support its not that easy.

Comment

I don't do more than 35 hours a week.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              I don't do more than 35 hours a week.
              Neither does NLyUK.

Comment

IB front office. 45 to 50 hours per week. Decent daily rate plus WFH Fridays.

Can't remember the last time I worked anywhere where 35 hours was the norm.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Heres my take. Average about 37.5 to 40 hours per week. Note average. If I do a little more no issue - if I do a lot more then I expect some favours in return.

I would not regularly work 9-7 - I have a life.

Seen things in the past like this:-

1) One interview where they said they expected contractors to work around 50 hours a week. Thank you find some other mug.

2) When I first started I asked the agent what hours and he said they normally worked hard every day 9-6. When I got there it was nothing of the sort.

For (2) I realised. If agent tells contractor to work 9-6 its no skin off agents nose - in fact, he gets client telling him how much he likes this hard working contractor who works all these hours. This could be the case here.

For me, I go to a new gig I assume its going to be approx 9-5 unless told otherwise. If I can get it to 8-4 or whatever then its a bonus. If I can get WFH at some point its also a bonus.

However, extra hours all the time will see me not extending the contract.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

50 hours a week = no way. Not even for double my normal rate.

No point being the richest man in the graveyard. And Im sure my kids will remember me doing things with them than how rich I was.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

In my opinion if you are using your brain you can only do a certain amount of hours. I don't see any point in watching the clock to leave.

Comment

Working...
                      X