• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lucky win

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    For me it works out around 2% per annum BEFORE tax, which is not bad at all, but feckers from this month reducing "prizes", supposedly no need for as much borrowing

Still, one could win £2 mln every month, tax free and without risk to capital... which would be nice!
    I think the expected return is something like 1.3% when the maximum is invested (but this includes the high-valued prizes, so it's not the best measure). It's completely tax free though. As I say, better than most savings accounts as a higher rate tax payer (for those, it's perhaps 0.75%-1% after higher rate tax), but it's pretty marginal, even more so from June, as you say. Very little point unless you can put a large chunk in though (you can find the mathematics of this online w/r to expected returns).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Very little point unless you can put a large chunk in though (you can find the mathematics of this online w/r to expected returns).
      I refer my Hounorable Friend to the first post -

Premium bonds -

Prize value Winning Bond Holding Area Bond Value Purchased
      £100,000 14KT085181 £20 Lancashire £10 Mar-81

Simon got it?

Comment

I refer my Hounorable Friend to the first post -
        Indeed. I think the 1 mill prize was won last month by someone with the minimum investment. Luck is always better than maths.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          I think the 1 mill prize was won last month by someone
          sadly, not me

Comment

If I win the big one I am giving up work

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
              If I win the big one I am giving up work
              You won't have a job after Brexit! A loaf of bread with jacket potato from EU would cost £10 mln.

HTH

Comment

You won't have a job after Brexit! A loaf of bread with jacket potato from EU would cost £10 mln.

HTH
                I don't have one before Brexit

So that's handy

Comment

not even 4 weeks and another £25 cheque

the big one is coming

Comment

£50 for me, £50 for the Mrs, and £125 for my eldest!

Comment

filthy speculants!
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X