• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CME group .net developer position

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    The advantage of taking a contractor is that if they can't do the work, you terminate the contract and find someone who can.

I'm surprised more companies don't do this - the number of places I've seen where they keep crap contractors to the end of their three month initial contract is too high for my liking. If I can't do the job, get rid of me - that's what I expect.
    The problem is identifying whether someone is good or not. If you're recruiting a .net developer as you have no internally resource with those skills it's bloody hard to identify whether that contractor is good or not in a relatively quick time frame, if at all.

Comment

Updates on the position.

just FYI :

got an update regarding my result..

My solution was rejected for the following reasons :

The code in general is overcomplicated, hard to read, and weird decisions are made

Hope it helps somebody who is interested in the position The advert for the position is still open in LinkedIn under the title : Senior C# Developer Elysian

Good Luck
      Last edited by CSharpDeveloper; 17 February 2014, 17:18. Reason: removed unnecessary information.

Comment

I had a challlenge to convert numbers into words - I did well created a well reusable componentised solution in less than 100 lines. I got feedback that it did not contain any patterns. I said that the question was not worded as a check writing program or something so was rejected. Then at CME I used Factory and Strategy patterns and got shot down for being an overkill solution. Go figure - nothing you do is correct either way. But from what I heard, CME uses C# of the dinosaur era, so you're not losing out much.

Comment

Hi guys,

I am on search again and probably will be doing this test again, so will post the task here so we can discuss possible solution.

See you.

Comment

Been there... Ask yourself why they are constantly looking for new people?
            Project managers ex startup, who thinks they are very good dev/leads so be prepared for fun ride as non of that is true.
            If they haven't changed anything - it is winforms C#.

Comment

Here it is: CME Vending Machine Test

Vending Machine Test – C# Developer

Thank you for your application. The exercise below forms part of CME/Elysian’s recruitment and
              selection process for this vacancy.

The Task:
              A vending machine sells items for various prices and can give change. Write code that models the
              machine and implements the following features:
              • at the start of the day: loading the machine with coins of various denominations (e.g. 100 x 1p, 50 x 5p, 50 x 10p etc…)
              • calculating the change to be given when an item is purchased (e.g. 2 x 20p used to purchase
                an item costing 25p might return 1 x 10p and 1 x 5p)

Consideration should be made as to a suitable level of generality as well as other factors such as (but not necessarily limited to) performance, flexibility, maintainability, error conditions. A user interface is not required. Where the problem is unclear the candidate should make any assumptions that they think appropriate.

Along with the code the candidate should provide some documentation (which may simply consist of
              comments in the code) describing the solution along with any assumptions that have been made or
              limitations in the provided solution.

When evaluating the solution the following factors (amongst others and in no particular order) will be
              taken into account:
              • simplicity, clarity and readability of code
              • correctness and efficiency of algorithms
              • class and method structure
              • appropriateness of data structures used
              • appropriateness of assumptions
              • flexibility of design

There is no time-limit but the task should not take much more than an hour. The ideal solution will be
              simple and readable, with efficient and well-designed code that fulfils the requirements.
              Before you submit:
              • Check any of the referenced libraries are causing it to be blocked (a dll extension, PDB or
                CACHE) Send an encrypted version of the zip file, which should allow the email to pass
                through our mail filter
              • Remove or change anything that is .ade, .adp, .bat, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .exe, .hta, .ins,
                .isp, .jse, .lib, .mde, .msc, .msp, .mst, .pif, .scr, .sct, .shb, .sys, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vxd, .wsc, .wsf,
                .wsh, .rar

Post your thoughts on implementation taking in account that implementation should not take more than an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by gemasp View Post
                Vending Machine Test – C# Developer

Thank you for your application. The exercise below forms part of CME/Elysian’s recruitment and
                selection process for this vacancy.

The Task:
                A vending machine sells items for various prices and can give change. Write code that models the
                machine and implements the following features:
                • at the start of the day: loading the machine with coins of various denominations (e.g. 100 x 1p, 50 x 5p, 50 x 10p etc…)
                • calculating the change to be given when an item is purchased (e.g. 2 x 20p used to purchase
                  an item costing 25p might return 1 x 10p and 1 x 5p)

Consideration should be made as to a suitable level of generality as well as other factors such as (but not necessarily limited to) performance, flexibility, maintainability, error conditions. A user interface is not required. Where the problem is unclear the candidate should make any assumptions that they think appropriate.

Along with the code the candidate should provide some documentation (which may simply consist of
                comments in the code) describing the solution along with any assumptions that have been made or
                limitations in the provided solution.

When evaluating the solution the following factors (amongst others and in no particular order) will be
                taken into account:
                • simplicity, clarity and readability of code
                • correctness and efficiency of algorithms
                • class and method structure
                • appropriateness of data structures used
                • appropriateness of assumptions
                • flexibility of design

There is no time-limit but the task should not take much more than an hour. The ideal solution will be
                simple and readable, with efficient and well-designed code that fulfils the requirements.
                Before you submit:
                • Check any of the referenced libraries are causing it to be blocked (a dll extension, PDB or
                  CACHE) Send an encrypted version of the zip file, which should allow the email to pass
                  through our mail filter
                • Remove or change anything that is .ade, .adp, .bat, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .exe, .hta, .ins,
                  .isp, .jse, .lib, .mde, .msc, .msp, .mst, .pif, .scr, .sct, .shb, .sys, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vxd, .wsc, .wsf,
                  .wsh, .rar

Post your thoughts on implementation taking in account that implementation should not take more than an hour.

I'd implement the goFcukYourself algorithm!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  I'd implement the goFcukYourself algorithm!
                  Where is "Like" button?!

Comment

Why anybody would spend even a minute on this crap I do not know.

Just by looking at the description I can say that the work environment must be tulipe with project managers and team leads thinking that they are the next Bill Gates.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X