• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Objects/ Crystal Report Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BO & Crystal

MIS. Nice Niche. Good call. Means you may come up against me at some point.

"very tempting but I am going to bide my time " But then again - once a perm.:rolleyes

See. This is the second Crystal contract I have offered on this board in as many months.

No-one here but us chickens. Chicken. :rolleyes

Comment

BO & Crystal

You're right - I am a bit chicken, but I do have a family to support plus my perm job is very cushy at the moment so its a bit of a leap of faith!

cheers again

Comment

Reporting is not just the front end report tool. Infact that is the trivial aspect in many cases.

The skill in reporting is

a. Understanding the business requirements
        b. Identifying the best way to present the data.
        c. Locating the data sources within the org.
        d. Designing DB schemas optimised for efficient and flexible reporting such as star and snowflake designs. Tuning the DB for fast reporting.
        e. Extracting, transforming and loading the data using SQL and other tools into these structures.
        f. Summarising and aggregating data using SQL and/or OLAP
        g. Generating the front end reports using a tool such as Excel, Crystal, BO etc.

You need all these skills to make money as a contractor IMHO.

Comment

BO & Crystal

Totally agree.

Regards

Comment

BO & Crystal

So, now we've established what one requires to be successful in this area , back to my original question - are there enough contracts out there to survive and make the move from being a permie?

8o

Comment

If you "survive" it'll be by selling yourself into clients, convincing them that they need somebody like you: not by waiting for contracts already "out there" to advertise themselves.

Comment

I think so. It won't make you rich but you'll do okay versus permie.

Comment

FAO Thunderlizzard

Apologies for my ignorance but what do you mean by selling yourself into clients?

Do you mean to agencies? hence they give the job to you before they advertise?

Cheers

Comment

Re: FAO Thunderlizzard

"I think so. It won't make you rich but you'll do okay versus permie."

Depends. I turnover 100k a year doing it. But that depends if you think thats a lot of money I suppose. :rolleyes

Comment

Working...
                    X