• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Australia

I'm aiming to move out there early next year and need to find info on how to operate as a contractor. The good news is that there seem to be quite a few contracts and rates aren't too bad but I have no idea what percentage I can expect to take home or what taxes are involved.

I've checked out the guides on this site but they are quite old (2003) so I'm not sure how relevant they are.

A Google on the subject brings up agencies or companies providing visa services... I've joined a few expat or 'thinking of going' sites but can't find anything specific about contracting.

Anyone give me a short summary of how it works e.g. is there any equivalent of IR35, one man companies, umbrella's etc or is it completely different?

Alternatively a pointer to a relevant site would be appreciated.

you beat me to that post. I've been searching for quite a while now as I plan to head over there in August this year. I was planning to just work through an agency as opposed to my own limited company etc.

The advice I have been given is obviously to set up an Oz bank account, go to an agency and try and get some contracts!.

I'm going to get a "working holiday visa" which entitles you to up to 6 months with any one employer. Is that how you planned on getting work?

beeker.

Comment

It's been a while since I was there so I'm reluctant to give any advice other than to fire off your CV to a few agencies and see what sort of response you get back.

It's not uncommon for Brits to work in contractor roles in Sydney, but you have to be careful on your visa situation (on a WHV you're not supposed further your "career").
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Its not finding work or the visa that I'm looking for help on, more how you operate i.e. do you operate completely PAYE or through a limited company, an umbrella etc and what tax is payable.

Ultimately I want to be able to calculate a rough estimate of take home as a percentage of gross income.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
          Its not finding work or the visa that I'm looking for help on, more how you operate i.e. do you operate completely PAYE or through a limited company, an umbrella etc and what tax is payable.

Ultimately I want to be able to calculate a rough estimate of take home as a percentage of gross income.
          That's what I meant when I said fire a few email to agents. They tend to be a bit friendlier in trying to help you over there. Ask them how their expats operate and they will most likely tell you.

Also, if you're not going to stay for long you can get all your tax back when you leave.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Have a look at http://www.ayersmanagement.com/sitemap.htm

I've worked through them using an umbrella and a Ltd. I'm a few years out of date now.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              Have a look at http://www.ayersmanagement.com/sitemap.htm

I've worked through them using an umbrella and a Ltd. I'm a few years out of date now.
              Just sent my CV off, do they have a faster turn around time for the permenant visa's..? Did you go on a working holiday visa or get the full 147 visa? If the latter, how long did your application take?!

Sorry to ask so many questions!!

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post
                Just sent my CV off, do they have a faster turn around time for the permenant visa's..? Did you go on a working holiday visa or get the full 147 visa? If the latter, how long did your application take?!

Sorry to ask so many questions!!
                I got Oz permanent residency many many moons ago, it's probably changed umpteen times since then.

Trying to get 'proper' work on the working holiday visa used to be difficult but again I'm well out of date. If they need you then I'm sure there is a way to get it sorted.

Comment

Thats kind of the route I'm going down - I have some skills that I 'think' will be in demand and hopefully by the end of the summer - some qualifications to back up those skills.

I've got accomodation and transport lined up in Perth. Fingers crossed it'll all work out!

I'll be sure to post my findings on here!

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post
                    Thats kind of the route I'm going down - I have some skills that I 'think' will be in demand and hopefully by the end of the summer - some qualifications to back up those skills.

I've got accomodation and transport lined up in Perth. Fingers crossed it'll all work out!

I'll be sure to post my findings on here!
                    Perth is a bit 'back of beyond' IT wise ( and otherwise ! ). You'll be better in Sydney and Melbourne if you are contracting but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                    X