• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Had Enough of Agencies??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swboy
    But seriously, it seems to me that there is no cost to just be there, only if you could get work. And then the cost is less than my girlfriend pays for gym membership. So there is no real downside.
    Emphatically not true.

What will happen if you sign up is one of these 2:

1. nobody will call. OK, it cost you nothing. It didn't do much either.

2. Agencies will call. You have to pony up 300.00 just to find out whether they've got anything of interest to you (and since it didn't cost them anything to scatter-gun you, you can bet that most of the time they won't), and even if they have, it's just the old agency deal - minus 300.00.

End clients/employers will not call, any more than they do now.

PS why are you targeting contractors but speaking of "employers"? Don't you know how sensitive we are to that word?
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      PS why are you targeting contractors but speaking of "employers"? Don't you know how sensitive we are to that word?
      Don't worry - I've already informed Gordo that we have a disguised employee in our midst.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
        Don't worry - I've already informed Gordo that we have a disguised employee in our midst.
        so have I chicane

big brother is watching you

Comment

Originally posted by jdedev
          ...the client will typically pay 20% fees to the agent... ...fed up of being charged what ever the agent thinks they can get...
          Originally posted by jdedev
          Just think that this will eliminate the agency cut that we pay now. Granted we never actually see rate that the client payes, but if the agent wasn't in the loop then surely that's a win-win for us and our clients

I'm Mystified.. Firstly are there still agences charging 20 % !!?? the worst I was offered by an agency lately was 13% and i haggled them down to 12% immediately. Secondly, when you say you don't ever see the rate that the client pays I am confused, I just ask exactly what margin any agency works on at outset, and then you can work it out from there. If they refuse to tell me then I don't deal with them (as it means they are trying to take the piss) not that many refuse, its a different landscape to 5-10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
            Emphatically not true.

What will happen if you sign up is one of these 2:

1. nobody will call. OK, it cost you nothing. It didn't do much either.

2. Agencies will call. You have to pony up 300.00 just to find out whether they've got anything of interest to you (and since it didn't cost them anything to scatter-gun you, you can bet that most of the time they won't), and even if they have, it's just the old agency deal - minus 300.00.

End clients/employers will not call, any more than they do now.

Or the cynic in me says that the website owners may create a end client account and send accross messages saying are you qualified for this? You then pony up £300 for a job that doesn't exist and never existed in the first place........

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
              Or the cynic in me says that the website owners may create a end client account and send accross messages saying are you qualified for this? You then pony up £300 for a job that doesn't exist and never existed in the first place........
              Jeez, you are cynical today!!!

Comment

I obviously haven't had enough sleep

Comment

Working...
                X