• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day Rate + Work hour expectations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I generally work less than contracted (or implied) hours. I try not to make it noticeable thaough. The reality is that unless there are loads of meetings then I'm spent after around 5 hours anyway. Some people do the same in a full day. I just tend to work better in fast spurts.

As long as I keep getting extended I know I'm on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      Yeah, you tell 'em.

Better still, report them all to the local tax office.
      I came off a little harsh there.

Good luck to all and sundry with it, it just amuses me.
      I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

I think the key here is simple; deliver value whilst not getting butt-raped.

That way everyone wins, surely.
        I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Sometimes (frequently) working extra hours is because it's a good day.

I'm a contractor, not a clock watcher.
          As do I, actually but I also leave early for various reasons.

The point was, however, that those doing 8-9 hours generally and over 10 where needed are kinda screwing us all over. The professional working day for the majority of the country is 7.5 hours. When you move from that to being in just a bit earlier and leaving just a bit later, then you're moving away from value and recording time.

I'm hoping to transition away from contracting in the next couple of years because I think this situation is silly. I'd rather just deliver end results than be paid for face time.

Then again, I actually like going home to my other half. I suspect many doing 12 hours a day either don't have a family life or don't much like what they do have. Screw them.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
            As do I, actually but I also leave early for various reasons.

The point was, however, that those doing 8-9 hours generally and over 10 where needed are kinda screwing us all over. The professional working day for the majority of the country is 7.5 hours. When you move from that to being in just a bit earlier and leaving just a bit later, then you're moving away from value and playing necessary office politics at times.

I'm hoping to transition away from contracting in the next couple of years because I think this situation is silly. I'd rather just deliver end results than be paid for face time.

Then again, I actually like going home to my other half. I suspect many doing 12 hours a day either don't have a family life or don't much like what they do have. Screw them.
            FTFY
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Where to?
              It would have to be a change of direction entirely then?
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Where to?
                It would have to be a change of direction entirely then?
                Somewhat.

I intend to play the sysadmin as a service role and aim at a niche under what a half decent permie costs. You go in, do the work, leave with a support contract.

Eventually one should be able to taper off contracts, but the clients I'm working for now are way too big to achieve this.

Comment

It funny how much IR35 is discussed with concern over distancing from being overpaid permies in disguise.
                  Ironic that this is exactly what most of you are.
                  There is a big difference in doing extra hours generally and putting in the extra mile to deliver.
                  Its very difficult to be generalistic when the arrangements that people have in place to earn their crust are very different.

I work in IB and my hours vary from 7.5 to 8 hours a day. I tend to start early and finish early, everyone that works with me knows this and works around it.
                  There have been a couple of occasions where I have had to put in extra time, however this was just in the final week of a previous project.
                  I don't call this being a doormat, I call it being professional.

Originally posted by fool View Post
                  Somewhat.

I intend to play the sysadmin as a service role and aim at a niche under what a half decent permie costs. You go in, do the work, leave with a support contract.

Eventually one should be able to taper off contracts, but the clients I'm working for now are way too big to achieve this.
                  Thinking of something similar myself, but more around the managed service model.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    There is a big difference in doing extra hours generally and putting in the extra mile to deliver.
                    Its very difficult to be generalistic when the arrangements that people have in place to earn their crust are very different.

I work in IB and my hours vary from 7.5 to 8 hours a day. I tend to start early and finish early, everyone that works with me knows this and works around it.
                    There have been a couple of occasions where I have had to put in extra time, however this was just in the final week of a previous project.
                    I don't call this being a doormat, I call it being professional.

Thinking of something similar myself, but more around the managed service model.
                    Cool. I'm of the opinion that the idea itself is worthless, so do provide further information if you have something specific in mind.

Where you based?

Comment

Cool. I'm of the opinion that the idea itself is worthless, so do provide further information if you have something specific in mind.

Where you based?
                      We have the chance of the work, the issue is, arranging the "in" on the PSL, we are exploring a couple of options at the moment.
                      Obviously, in banking these opportunties change in a heartbeat, due to budgetry constraints, so we will have to see.

Based in London.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X