• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calls from dissolved agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it from us, if you aren't managing your risk and researching your client/agency then sooner or later you will lose money.

A credit check will help answer the three questions every contractor needs to know about a potential client/agent:
    1. Who/what are you dealing with?
    2. Can they afford to pay your invoice?
    3. Will the pay you promptly?

A dodgy agency with a fancy website and designer offices may have a string of unpaid CCJs against it and if you haven't already purchased a report or done some digging, the first indication you will have that something amiss is when your invoice doesn't get paid.

Investigating your client/agent will never completely negate the risk involved in offering your services on credit, but it will reduce this risk considerably and is, in our opinion, the bare minimum in due diligence that a contractor should be aiming for.

As far as insurance goes, this can be of assistance but should not be relied upon to secure full payment. The IPSE/Abbey policy included in membership only covers the first £7.5K of any claim, it is only applicable for agency insolvency (so if you are direct you are out of luck) and as far as we understand it has a maximum claim cap per agency that could reduce any payout dependent on the number of claims.
    The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by wogewwabbit View Post
      Hi Guys,

I have been contracting in the past 5 years, and about 2 years ago I started checking the agencies contacting me on Companies House/Companycheck. Originally I was only checking their finances to avoid those who would have me as one of their two contractors. I was shocked how many of them are not even in business.
      These days if I get a phone call from an agency the first thing I check on their website is their company number. Those who are not showing a company number could be PLCs, but unlikely. In these cases I just ignore everything from them.

I am curious how you deal with agencies you never heard of before? Do you guys also check whether they are legitimate, properly operating businesses?

What do you think the purpose of these people could be? Are they running some sort of scam? Or is this the new way of phishing for info, under someone else's company name?

I check after the interviews, and never put personal information on my CV.

Comment

It's ok come April we'll be on PAYE with these agencies, that puts my mind at rest, thank you Gideon...

Comment

Working...
        X