• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit of help needed, has anyone worked for these guys?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of help needed, has anyone worked for these guys?

Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I have been contracting for a few years and have just been offered a PM role at a bank in Brussels. The job is through an Indian outfit called Silverlink.

They havent been as helpful as most UK firms, and have offered a lower rate than I would like. I normally wouldn't consider this but it would be a way into banking, and every time I have tried in the past, ive been told I need experience, which I cant get without a job!

I have issues with trusting them, the contract terms are a bit odd (as shown elsewhere on these boards), and I haggled them up a few quid but not much. I also worry about their reliability as when I call them I dont always get through to someone who makes sense to me. I was just offered the job on the phone, and asked them for time to consider it as I am waiting to hear back about a few other things. The agent got upset with me and said he would not have put me forward if he knew I had other stuff on. Is this just a language/cultural difference or should I be worried? I have the feeling they would be a nightmare to work for!

Does anyone have positive experiences of these guys?

I suggest you use search and look for threads on people who have worked through and for Indian based outsourcers and agencies.

General rule of thumb if an agency/client isn't nice to you before you confirm you are taking a role then avoid. People should be on their best behaviour when trying to entice someone to take a role.

I forgot to say the best thing to get agencies to wait for you is tell them you are getting the contract reviewed by your legal rep. Some will then freak out but when they have finished tell them your insurances aren't valid if this is not done.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Silverlink = tossers to be avoided if you can.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

What PC said. They're a joke. Here's something I've mentioned about them previously.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1811499

Comment

The words 'barge' and 'pole' spring to mind.
          Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

I just dug out the document I sent to them requesting they change some of their terms. In fairness, they did agree to some of them, but not all, and I decided to walk away, and let the client know why. I've replaced client's name with "XXX", but you'll get the idea. I wrote this a few years ago, and my knowledge is definitely better these days, so there might be a few things I got wrong, but you'll get the idea.

Last edited by GillsMan; 10 March 2015, 16:19.

Comment

Thanks for all your help! I had done some research on here before I put up my post and got the jist that its a bad idea. The fact that the agent got angry with me was a huge alarm bell. The contract was (in line with other posters) sent with their initial introduction letter, and they are now saying I have already agreed to its terms by being put forward for the role.

Despite being on the bench 4 weeks longer than I would like, and money getting tight, I wont be taking this role!

Comment

Good for you! I know it's a difficult decision, but if more people took the brave decision you have, it would send out a clear message. And maybe large organisations who use tuliphouses like Silverlink would think twice.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                  I just dug out the document I sent to them requesting they change some of their terms. In fairness, they did agree to some of them, but not all, and I decided to walk away, and let the client know why. I've replaced client's name with "XXX", but you'll get the idea. I wrote this a few years ago, and my knowledge is definitely better these days, so there might be a few things I got wrong, but you'll get the idea.

Lol, your global replace rather gives the client away

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Lol, your global replace rather gives the client away
                    Hahahaha yup! Have fixed now.

Comment

Working...
                    X