• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Second Company - IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Despite the supposed 'contract by contract' nature of IR35 investigations, there is the over riding question of 'being in business'. Having another company of which you are a director will lend a very small amount in your favour.
    Having another company of which you are a director might lend weight to an argument that you are a businessman. I don't see how it can address anything to do with whether during one contract I worked on for another company, I was a disguised employee or not.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      Having another company of which you are a director might lend weight to an argument that you are a businessman. I don't see how it can address anything to do with whether during one contract I worked on for another company, I was a disguised employee or not.
      Totally agree. It shows a potentially diverse range of work which could in some cases help show you're a genuine business, but it doesn't determine the status of any individual contract.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        OK, well, the way it was explained to me was this:

Contractor A (under investigation) has a standard agency contract with Bank A, through agency A to deliver C++ development, through Contractor A Ltd

Contractor B (Under investigation) has a standard agency contract with Bank B, through Agency B to deliver Test Management services to client B through Contractor B Ltd. Contractor b is also sole director of Contractor B Web Hosting Ltd, Contractor B Computer Hardware Ltd and Contractor B Anal Beads Ltd. All four companies are currently trading under the directorship of Contractor B.

I never said it was a 'get out of Ir35 scenario'. I said it lends weight in the same way as other secondary factors do.

Edit - See this 'single contract' thing you all go on about ? When HmRC are investigating you they don't investigate one contract. It may start that way, or even end that way, but they will investigate ALL your contracts over a period of time.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
        X