• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
    Does anyone on this forum potentially owe more than 100k?
    I'm getting demands with menaces for a lot more than 100k
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
      Nice one VV. I just dont think they realise the scale of the problem and the regular people affected. I will be walking in to my meeting with my MP next week having forwarded DRs survey for sure. This kind of retro action hasn't happened before and given protocols recently put in place will not happen again. We are caught in the middle and it must be repealed!
      I would suggest that theres a huge amount more than just the survey to take to your MP - who is your MP please?
      I wonder if DR would be kind enough to point you in direction of much more "interesting evidence", which will be of profound concern to any MP from any side of the House.
      Join the campaign at
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Jane Kennedy Background

After reading the email from JK, posted yesterday i thought I would check to see why she left Government, having championed BN66 in HOC. Quick google reveals:
        Miss Kennedy, a former minister and critic of Gordon Brown who represents the marginal seat of Liverpool Wavertree, said that was not “able or willing” to abide by the changes which would come about in the House of Commons as a result of the MPs' expenses scandal.
        She added that she was fed up with “highly personal attacks,” and dismayed at recommendations in the Kelly review into the future of Commons’ allowances which would bar MPs from having relatives on the payroll and force them to rent second homes.
        The 51-year-old divorced mother-of-two employs her partner, Peter Dowling, to work in her office.
        Sir Christopher Kelly’s reforms are designed to clean up Westminster following the expenses scandal.
        Miss Kennedy told the Liverpool Echo that she understood the public’s desire for a new system of Parliamentary expenses, but added: "I do think we need to try to educate the public about the pressures MPs work under.
        Miss Kennedy said that she had not changed her mind about the Prime Minister since resigning as an environment minister in the summer after refusing to pledge her allegiance to him.
        She described his leadership style as “macho,” and compared him to a “Mafia boss" who "might not pull the trigger, but he knows who's getting bumped off".
        But she said Mr Brown was not a factor behind her decision to quit.
        The seat of Liverpool Wavertree, which she holds with a majority of just over 5,000, is a target seat for the Liberal Democrats, and Mrs Kennedy said that the attacks on her had become increasingly personal.
        Her expenses claims came under the spotlight after it emerged that she regularly claimed the same amounts for items such as utilities and maintenance without receipts, as well as the maximum £400-a-month for food.
        The former senior Treasury minister said that she retained nothing but “affection and respect” for the Labour Party.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I should have said "except HMRC".
          An important clarification ... your first post read like a deal was in the making !

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
            An important clarification ... your first post read like a deal was in the making !
            I know. I had a few excited PMs from people.

Comment

Some more retrospection coming here...

BBC News - Budget: Osborne pledges 'aggressive' measures on stamp duty avoidance

"We are going to come down on that practice like a tonne of bricks, We are coming after that tax avoidance, we are going to be extremely aggressive in dealing with it, and people are going to face a very punitive charge."
              Although they might not have to retrospectively change the law - I guess they could just introduce a new tax which hits the current legal owner of such properties.

Comment

I understand there is a scheme available that attempts to convert trust income received via the schemes discussed here into PAYE income in the hope that the PAYE would be recovered from the scheme promoter (as a kind of “employer”) rather than from the recipient.

I’m not sure that such a scheme is well thought out….

HM Revenue & Customs:Retrospective Liability for PAYE and NICs

We’re all vulnerable people due to what we’re facing and there will no doubt be all kinds of people trying to take advantage. Be careful – don’t jump out of the pan and into the fire.
                There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Remember we have a Wikipedia article too, may be a good place to point interested parties at - BN66 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Mp has had plenty more...

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
                    I would suggest that theres a huge amount more than just the survey to take to your MP - who is your MP please?
                    I wonder if DR would be kind enough to point you in direction of much more "interesting evidence", which will be of profound concern to any MP from any side of the House.
                    Oh don't worry he has had a whole lot more: Timelines, various Hansard, Commentaries, ciot docs, jchr, te63, witness snippets, gauke transcripts etc etc. This forum has helped out no end. I just hope he has read it all before our meeting so we can talk about what to do and not what the problem is. The survey is just the latest.

As well of course as plenty about my personal situation...
                    Last edited by TalkingCheese; 18 March 2012, 16:49. Reason: Personal stuff
                    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      Oh don't worry he has had a whole lot more: Timelines, various Hansard, Commentaries, ciot docs, jchr, te63, witness snippets, gauke transcripts etc etc. This forum has helped out no end. I just hope he has read it all before our meeting so we can talk about what to do and not what the problem is. The survey is just the latest.

As well of course as plenty about my personal situation...
                      Well done! Lets not forget also that the lib dems didnt like the retrospective nature either back in 2008 (see Hansard) - given that Tories and Lib dems are in coalition, that should aid us.(ie they dont have to betray one another)
                      Join the campaign at
                      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X