• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividends / Salary. Permie halfway through tax yr.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividends / Salary. Permie halfway through tax yr.

Hi all,

Very basic question here...!

Before July 2011 I was a permie. I therefore obviously accumulated towards my earnings limit for this tax year threshold which from reading on the HMRC website seems to be 37,400 for 2010-2011.

I amtrying to plan my dividend outgoings for this tax year so that I stay under the threshold. I therefore assume I need to take into account what I earnt in April, May and June in my permie role? What I'm struggling to understand is what parts of the earnings do I need to take account of - which bits contribute towards what would now be my dividend, and my salary?

I also got a bonus in May, would this also be included?

Many thanks for your responses!!

Have a word with your accountant so if you have received more than the lower earnings limit for NI they don't do a payroll for you this tax year. They will also tell you how much you can take out as dividends to ensure you don't meet the higher tax band.

The tax band limits are here -HM Revenue & Customs: Income Tax allowances

You do have an accountant don't you?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Have a word with your accountant so if you have received more than the lower earnings limit for NI they don't do a payroll for you this tax year. They will also tell you how much you can take out as dividends to ensure you don't meet the higher tax band.

Thansk SueEllen, yes i do have one. He's put together a nice spreadsheet where i can enter my dividends and there is a minus figure on the side, as long as that stays minus i'm under the threshold, so I was just wondering what I should enter for the 3 previous months as my 'dividend' in that field....

Comment

Probably zero

For the first three months while you were permanent, your dividends figure for the spreadsheet will almost certainly be zero (on the assumption you where not a shareholder of your employers company). To be sure regarding your personal tax calculation, just include the gross earnings to date figure from your P45 into the spreadsheet your accountant has provided. Don't forget to add any other sources of income too - any dividends from shares in public companies you may hold, bank interest (although usually small these days due to awfully bad interest rates on savings).

Good luck!
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Im in a similar situation. Received PILON when I was redundant in April so thats 12K I've already been paid.

My accountant has advised me to not pay myself a salary this tax year but instead just do dividents. Obviously, I have to take into account the 12K already earned to make sure I dont exceed the upper tax threshold ideally.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Thanks all, you've been helpful! Will have a look on my p45 when I get it, and speak to my accountant too.

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMani View Post
              Before July 2011 I was a permie. I therefore obviously accumulated towards my earnings limit for this tax year threshold which from reading on the HMRC website seems to be 37,400 for 2010-2011.
              £37K + your £7.6K or so allowance.

So roughly it's £37.4K+£7.6K = £45K - whatever you've earned under PAYE before tax (i.e. salary and bonus) = the amount you can earn without going into the upper rate.

However there's a bit of nastiness for dividends in that they have a 10% tax credit. Which means you need to divide the above by 1.1 to get the true figure. Thankyou Gordon.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Bear in mind that even if you don't intend to take a wage this year you'll still need to register for PAYE and run payroll (i.e. send nil acknowledgements).

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  Bear in mind that even if you don't intend to take a wage this year you'll still need to register for PAYE and run payroll (i.e. send nil acknowledgements).
                  Are you sure thats true?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    £37K + your £7.6K or so allowance.

So roughly it's £37.4K+£7.6K = £45K - whatever you've earned under PAYE before tax (i.e. salary and bonus) = the amount you can earn without going into the upper rate.

However there's a bit of nastiness for dividends in that they have a 10% tax credit. Which means you need to divide the above by 1.1 to get the true figure. Thankyou Gordon.
                    2010-2011 (to April 2011) was £37400 and £6475 tax free allowance.
                    So ignoring the 150k+ super tax you pay 40% from £43875.

2011-2012 (to April 2012) is £35000 and £7475 tax free allowance.
                    and in the current fiscal year you pay 40% after £42475.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X