• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long to keep Expense Receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to keep Expense Receipts

Can someone let me know,

In a one man company, what is the minimum length of time expense receipts to be kept for audit purposes. Can you throw light on both the business expense receipts and the personal expense receipts which are reimbursed by the company.

6 years as per HMRC HM Revenue & Customs: Accounts and records for your VAT

But it wouldn;t hurt to scan them and keep them longer.

You should keep copies of insurance certificates indefinitely.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post

From Hmrc website, I find, 3 years for expense receipts. Am I missing something ?
      HM Revenue & Customs: Expenses and benefits record keeping

How long to keep your records for

You should keep your expenses and benefits records for three complete tax years after the end of the tax year to which they relate.

Comment

Originally posted by tyut4669 View Post
        From Hmrc website, I find, 3 years for expense receipts. Am I missing something ?
        HM Revenue & Customs: Expenses and benefits record keeping

How long to keep your records for

You should keep your expenses and benefits records for three complete tax years after the end of the tax year to which they relate.
        It's different for different taxes. Self assessment for example is only 5. It's easier, and safer, to just keep everything for the maximum as you don't know when you might need them of when they may overlap.

http://www.businesswings.co.uk/artic...ks-And-Records
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Top tip.

Comment

Technically, do you not need dispensation for keeping them electronically instead of paper?

I did a project where we were having employees keep their own paper copies, but the company would accept a scanned copy in to pay expenses, and they had to get HMRC permission to ensure that it was above board, IIRC.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Technically, do you not need dispensation for keeping them electronically instead of paper?

I did a project where we were having employees keep their own paper copies, but the company would accept a scanned copy in to pay expenses, and they had to get HMRC permission to ensure that it was above board, IIRC.
              I think Clare was referring to after the statutory retention period had expired.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                I think Clare was referring to after the statutory retention period had expired.
                Indeed - misread her post. Someone I know was advocating scanning them and binning the paper copies before the 6 year retention period, and I didn't read Clare's post carefully enough.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Indeed - misread her post. Someone I know was advocating scanning them and binning the paper copies before the 6 year retention period, and I didn't read Clare's post carefully enough.
                  You can bin them once you scanned them. And also you do not need to get permission from HMRC. What HMRC says that as long as you can produce a copy they are happy.

Comment

It's different for different taxes. Self assessment for example is only 5. It's easier, and safer, to just keep everything for the maximum as you don't know when you might need them of when they may overlap.

How long should you keep books and records? : Small Business Administration, Legal Advice : BusinessWings.co.uk
                    Are you sure that self assessment record should be kept for 5 years?

Comment

Working...
                    X