• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorbike Collection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olly View Post
    I too wish to invest retained profit in a collection hopefully appreciating motorbikes.
    I'd love to indulge in something like this at my company's expense but my concern is that this would be seen as a loss making hobby than a legitimate company investment.

Also, what business use could we claim for the bikes? Would we ever ride them? Would this be business or private mileage? Or would we just fudge over this and not declare it? Park the bikes and never ride them?

I really doubt that HMRC would see it as a legitimate business expense especially if it's completely unrelated to the company's core business.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      I'd love to indulge in something like this at my company's expense but my concern is that this would be seen as a loss making hobby than a legitimate company investment.

Also, what business use could we claim for the bikes? Would we ever ride them? Would this be business or private mileage? Or would we just fudge over this and not declare it? Park the bikes and never ride them?

I really doubt that HMRC would see it as a legitimate business expense especially if it's completely unrelated to the company's core business.
      Yes it could be viewed as that but then again it's all about how you run things.
      There's no "business use", this is an investment like a painting or stamps or something. Any mileage would be in the course of maintenance of the machines (at least in the first iteration)
      If I bought a very valuable painting as company investment and kept it in a humidity controlled vault or paid for it to be cleaned and had it insured wouldn't that be ok? Classic bikes are identical surely?

Comment

Working...
      X