• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses Declaration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses Declaration

When your accountant prepares the ltd company accounts do they include exact expenses that have been incurred or do they factor in what could be deemed to be got away with by HMRC, within reason of course ?

I am interested what the general approach is towards this and any views.

Thanks

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    When your accountant prepares the ltd company accounts do they include exact expenses that have been incurred or do they factor in what could be deemed to be got away with by HMRC, within reason of course ?

Thanks
    I am practically certain that HMR&C do not allow anyone to 'get away with' anything.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Actual costs. There are certain items like use of home that can be added in retrospectively, and a good accountant will always point out anything that looks like it might be missing so that you're aware of it in future (or that you may have paid privately and not claimed as an expense).

Hopefully speaking for most accountants here when I say we in no way inflate the figures with things that we think can be got away with.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

To clarify my query, is it normal practise for higher expense amounts to be declared on the company returns than those actually incurred by the company so as to reduce the overall profit margins ?

Comment

To clarify my query, is it normal practise for higher expense amounts to be declared on the company returns than those actually incurred by the company so as to reduce the overall profit margins ?

No. It's normal to claim the actual expenses incurred by the company.

If you're increasing your expenses in order to reduce your tax liability when the expenses are not genuine, that's fraud.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

No, that's fraud
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

What's the actual problem you're experiencing? Between this and your other recent thread, obviously something's going on for you. Ask about that.

Comment

Thanks
                As Lisa has rightly said, the correct term for this is fraud.

So, essentially, you are looking for some form of validation from other board members as to whether this is acceptable.

F'ing un-believable.
                Last edited by Clippy; 29 November 2010, 23:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

So, essentially, you are looking for some form of validation from other board members as to whether this is acceptable.

F'ing un-believable.
                  What they said +1

I'm in business to make a living and have happy customers who keep coming back not to commit criminal fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

F'ing un-believable.
                    I am not asking if this is acceptable I am asking if this is an approach taken. For the record I only declare the expenses I have incurred which is why I was asking what other contractors do. Read the original posts.

Comment

Working...
                    X