• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    the more of these comments I read on the HMG site the more I am struggling to see how the COA will not find in our favour, its the 7 years issue of doing nothing to me that gives us clout.
    There is another way of looking at this. Whichever way the courts eventually rule on this, it becomes case law.

This will not only influence the outcome of future legal proceedings but it will also affect the legislative framework itself.

I have thought about this very long and hard, and I can't come up with any way of framing a ruling in favour of HMRC/HMT which doesn't open up the floodgates to arbitrary retrospective tax laws.

I can't think of anything unique/specific to our case that would allow the courts to deliver a judgment which doesn't set a wide precedent.

Comment

I have noticed that if you press "Add Comment" in rapid succession without waiting for the screen to refresh, it adds multiple comments.

It wouldn't be that difficult for us to break Cleggy's new toy.

Comment

The same old government tricks

We can see from Gauke's template response to recent letters from MP's shows his lack of morals. He was strongly opposed to S58 but now in power, well somehow his stance has changed.

I just want to share with you a recent example of the duplicitous dealings which this government is up to is no different that the previous administration.

I have had to omit a few details to protect my identity in this matter but I am acting for an organistion who are dealing with the effects of the recession. They have a government budgtet but you need to qualify to get the assisatace from them. So far nothing unusual.

Well in the past few weeks the government dept has announced an increace in the budget by 20%. Yes in spite of the recession the budget has been incresed by 20%.

Great headline news for the lcoal politicians, but just a minute, lets look at the details.

Budget up but the qualifications needed to get the assistance have been made so tight that only 5% of those who previously would benefit will now qualify.

The result is that whilst the headline news is that the budget has gone up he actual spend will be massivly reduced because hardly anyone will will now qualify.

So you see guys, this government and the civil service behind them have not changed, only the names and faces.

Comment

Originally posted by seadog View Post
          We can see from Gauke's template response to recent letters from MP's shows his lack of morals. He was strongly opposed to S58 but now in power, well somehow his stance has changed.
          Should we personalise this? Is it worth writing to him directly and asking straight out, do you or do you not stand by your earlier comments? He has no grounds not to answer, we are not asking for new comment which might have a bearing on the case, just a statement that shows whether or not he has a backbone. If he is sincere, and I say that because I wouldn't want to alienate someone who may be against this legislation, but whose hands are currently tied, then he will want to make sure that he has on record that he did opposed this legislation both in opposition and in Government. Otherwise, he should be held to account that he sold his principles for power while hundreds of people lost their homes and many more faced broken families or worse, while he looked away. I hope that he is a man of principle.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
            Should we personalise this? Is it worth writing to him directly and asking straight out, do you or do you not stand by your earlier comments? He has no grounds not to answer, we are not asking for new comment which might have a bearing on the case, just a statement that shows whether or not he has a backbone. If he is sincere, and I say that because I wouldn't want to alienate someone who may be against this legislation, but whose hands are currently tied, then he will want to make sure that he has on record that he did opposed this legislation both in opposition and in Government. Otherwise, he should be held to account that he sold his principles for power while hundreds of people lost their homes and many more faced broken families or worse, while he looked away. I hope that he is a man of principle.
            In my last letter to my MP, I actually added a para or two about this Gauke character's opposition to S58 when he was in opposition but now he's in government, he's changed his tune. I've asked my MP to ask Gauke exactly why when he was vehemently opposed to S58, is he now effectively following the last government's path?

The reply should be interesting anyway.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Site Position

Looking at the Great Repeal site this morning I see we are now ranked 6th for number of comments.

There is not a day goes by without me thinking about the unfairness of S58 and all of its implications.

I note that we are not restricted to making only one comment so I shall be making my feelings known most mornings on that site. If anyone would care to join me I'm sure that we can get to or at least very close to the top

I can't claim ownership of this idea. That's down to our great leader.
              Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
              "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
                Looking at the Great Repeal site this morning I see we are now ranked 6th for number of comments.

There is not a day goes by without me thinking about the unfairness of S58 and all of its implications.

I note that we are not restricted to making only one comment so I shall be making my feelings known most mornings on that site. If anyone would care to join me I'm sure that we can get to or at least very close to the top

I can't claim ownership of this idea. That's down to our great leader.
                My guess is the public will quickly lose interest in this site if they haven't already done so. I can't see it gaining the same sort of popularity as the No 10 on-line petitions.

Therefore, it shouldn't be difficult for us to stay near the top.

However, at some point they might nobble us by disallowing multiple comments or changing the ranking so they aren't counted.

Comment

Also worth doing is registering a new username each time you post a comment.
                  And then voting 5 stars for the thread with the new username

Come on folks, lets get going, We need to beat the decriminalising cannabis threads
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Free Advertisment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    Also worth doing is registering a new username each time you post a comment.
                    And then voting 5 stars for the thread with the new username

Come on folks, lets get going, We need to beat the decriminalising cannabis threads
                    As Delia Smith once said "Let's be having you!"

This is a great opportunity to get our concerns raised in what is effectively a political forum. To only have 147 votes and 173 comments gives the impression that this does not affect many people.

Please spare 5 minutes of your time to register, provide 5 star rating and add a comment. You never know, if you knock at lots of doors, someone will eventually answer...

Section 58 Finance Act 2008 — HMG - Your Freedom

Comment

Most Comments

Originally posted by MajorGowen View Post
                      As Delia Smith once said "Let's be having you!"

Section 58 Finance Act 2008 — HMG - Your Freedom
                      just moved up to 4th in the most comments list.

Comment

Working...
                      X