• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodwill Capital Allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful here...when "purchasing a company" there's two very different things you can do:

1) buy the share capital of the company. This way you take over the company as is. There was no goodwill before you bought it, and there's none afterwards either.

The excess you pay over the net assets will simply leave you with a higher base cost against capital gains if you sell the company in the future.

In this scenario it also makes a big difference whether you personally buy the shares (hence you perhaps own two Limited Companies yourself), or whether your existing Ltd Co purchases the shares (in which you have a small group of companies).

Aside from the tax aspects, bear in mind you not only buy all the good stuff you want, but you'll also inherit with it any hidden nasties, such as warranties, or lawsuits against the company which have not yet come to fruition.

2) buy the trade and assets from the company. This way they are all effectively brought into your existing company, and you simply have one larger company going forward.

Any excess you pay over the net assets will be goodwill, which (provided you bought from an independent third party), should be reviewed for impairment annually. Any impairment is fully tax deductible for your company.

The seller is then simply left with a shell of a company with a load of cash in it (being the sale proceeds). Any hidden liabilities stay within this shell of a company, hence no risk to you.

Therefore typically the buyer (ie you) wants to buy the trade and assets. The seller however often would rather sell the shares, as they would typically get much better tax treatment (capital gain with entrepreneurs relief as an individual, rather than a chargeable gain within the company, with further tax when they extract the funds).

There are also further considerations such as possible stamp duty payable on the shares, and also VAT issues on the transaction, so have a chat with a suitably qualified accountant before jumping into a transaction like this.

Comment

Thanks for your response Maslins.

My company is buying the assets, fixtures and fittings and stock of the other company which will then be disolved by the current owner. I have renamed my company to align with the current ltd name, (with (2009) after the name, after the old company has been disolved I'll do another rename to remove the suffix).

When you say "Any impairment is fully tax deductible for your company." I assume this is the same as depreciation? i.e. I can depreciate over 25 years and the 4% pa would be tax deductable.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        When you say "Any impairment is fully tax deductible for your company." I assume this is the same as depreciation? i.e. I can depreciate over 25 years and the 4% pa would be tax deductable.
        Basically yes, but there's no need to string it out over as long a period as that. Also there's no reason why it needs to be the same each year.

Eg if the goodwill was £100k, you could impair (write off) £20k in year 1, £50k in year 2, £30k in year 3.

In theory you need to assess the value of the goodwill each year, and decide what it's now worth...but this is akin to how long a piece of string is, so in the real world people tend to pick a value that will best suit them for tax purposes, and provided it won't look too dodgy, go with that.

Comment

Thanks again Maslins.

Comment

Working...
          X