• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expense receipt question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zylon View Post
    Are many people photographing + uploading receipts to their accounting systems, or just keeping on file in case required? I'm using FreeAgent and I'm 'doing' expenses but not attaching receipts - to me that would be the really tedious part taking perhaps 1 hour vs 5 minutes per month.

My accountant said that uploading photos is the ideal, but as long as I keep them on file for auditing it's okay too. I've started using separate envelopes per month to keep it organised.
    If you download the data from Freeagent, then unless you use third party software (I can't remember the name of a provider) you won't get the attachments downloaded with it.

So I keep a local copy just in case as well.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You should enquire about a bookkeeping package. Lot's of accountants will process bookkeeping for you and this may be priced separately from their core service as the software available and being used in the marketplace are enough for many contractors.

There are also apps that will allow you to take a photo of your receipts for them to be uploaded to your accountant and thereby be included in your records. This should avoid expenses being missed and is a tool that we are currently using for clients on our bookkeeping service.

Comment

Originally posted by rookiecontractor View Post
        Yes its 120+ vat. I am working in the London area so I'm sure its expensive than other places. I was a little pissed that he is giving me only 15 min but I wasn't sure if they have higher tier for this kind of consultation.
        I personally don't see the need to have an accountant who's local. I've never met mine and do most things via email. He's 50 miles away, which is about an hours drive so not too far if I did need to see them. I do most things by email, I prefer it this way, but as I said before he's available on the phone whenever I've called.

I'd bin them if I were you. Part of what I pay an accountant for is is his expertise, not just the admin.

Comment

Working...
        X