• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rail Compensation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rail Compensation

Due to the terrible service on Southern trains during 2016, they are operating a compensation scheme. For anyone that used their services for twelve weeks or more between April and December 2016, you can get about a month's money back, which is not to be sniffed at if you haven't already looked into it. It closes at the end of April.

Season ticket compensation scheme : Southern

From an accounting / expenses perspective, should I just deduct this compensation from my next expenses claim? Or is compensation for poor service to an individual treated differently to a plain old refund for returned goods?

I'm not looking to get away with anything I shouldn't, but equally don't want to give away money I don't need to.

<nluk>My accountant is on holiday for the week</nluk>

Great so the UK government is giving you the money back.

Oh and personally I would have just kept my mouth shut....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Today I got £82 back from SW trains for the past quarter's poor service.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Today I got £82 back from SW trains for the past quarter's poor service.
        And they've not even had strikes.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
          Due to the terrible service on Southern trains during 2016, they are operating a compensation scheme. For anyone that used their services for twelve weeks or more between April and December 2016, you can get about a month's money back, which is not to be sniffed at if you haven't already looked into it. It closes at the end of April.

Season ticket compensation scheme : Southern

From an accounting / expenses perspective, should I just deduct this compensation from my next expenses claim? Or is compensation for poor service to an individual treated differently to a plain old refund for returned goods?

I'm not looking to get away with anything I shouldn't, but equally don't want to give away money I don't need to.

<nluk>My accountant is on holiday for the week</nluk>
          If they pay it back on the card you paid on, and that's your company card, I guess you need to declare it as a part-refund

If they pay it back to a personal card (which you had then claimed back from your company), I'd take the money and run

IANAA/IANAL

Comment

Thanks!

Well - thanks to meanttobeworking!

I've just had over £400 back from time as a permy. Despite suffering with Southern Rail previously I hadn't yet claimed anything. This is because I had a season ticket from SouthWest Trains allowing me to use both them, and Southern for my commute to London. My local station, and one where I bought my season ticket is SWT.

Studying the FAQ etc. at the link provided it seemed I was, in fact, eligible (as I might have originally expected / hoped). Only a few more days to get claims in.......
            Last edited by randomfella; 26 April 2017, 12:14. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
            X