• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodwill - Buying a Business and how to account for it.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodwill - Buying a Business and how to account for it.

This is a tricky question for the tax and accountancy gurus.

Following on from a very old thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...allowance.html and in conjunction with the fact there were changes made to Goodwill Amortization in 2015 I can't seem to find a straight answer. It's the weekend so my accountant will have to wait.

I have just seen a business which is for sale for 50k which I'm interesting in purchasing.
    I believe I want to do this as an individual not as a LTD Company. I am registered as Self Employed for purposes of Retail. I am also Director of a Ltd company for contracting.

On this financial year, at the beginning of the year I was employed and so took a salary of 150k and paid PAYE. As I have gone Self Employed for the remainder of the year I have traded a little bit more on the retail side, but effectively have a 5k loss which will be offset against my 150k in April as part of Self Assessment.

What I want to know, if I go ahead and look to purchase the business for 50k, how can I account for the goodwill to reduce this years tax and subequent against any profits?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Sledges market on the up again
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
    X