• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    Hardly. I took advice on this from my accountant and IPSE, who I am a member of, as far as my activities are concerned, I am not a Management Consultant and I don't work in IT. Currently I am working in Insurance, previously I have worked at BaE, GSK and various other places. None have been in IT.
    Do you think IT contractors only work for IT companies like IBM?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Do you think IT contractors only work for IT companies like IBM?
      Doesn't matter if he's in IT or not anyway. Limited Cost Traders will apply across all sectors. I think this is what our man isn't picking up on.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
        Doesn't matter if he's in IT or not anyway. Limited Cost Traders will apply across all sectors. I think this is what our man isn't picking up on.
        My argument over IT was under the old rules.

I'd missed the Limited Cost Trader bit and hadn't done any research on how it might affect me after the December papers.
        Now I have and I stand utterly and totally corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
          My argument over IT was under the old rules.

I'd missed the Limited Cost Trader bit and hadn't done any research on how it might affect me after the December papers.
          Now I have and I stand utterly and totally corrected.
          I did wonder. No harm done and if you need any help just shout.

Comment

So what DOES qualify?

Alan, maybe you can clarify a couple of things that puzzle me at the moment.
            What would be acceptable in your eyes under the term of "goods" - as I have yet to find a list of potentially qualifying goods - just the ones that don't!.
            OK there is the one example they give of printer ink - but that is all! Is the definition of "goods" something tangible that you can touch - or could it include for example a CBTNuggets subscription - or a training course?

The other thing that intrigues me is this "accounting period". Are we talking the 3 month payment period, or annual accounts. My reading is that it is the annual one.

Oh and before someone says "why don't you ask your accountant" I am asking him as well. However, second (qualified) opinions are always useful!

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
              Alan, maybe you can clarify a couple of things that puzzle me at the moment.
              What would be acceptable in your eyes under the term of "goods" - as I have yet to find a list of potentially qualifying goods - just the ones that don't!.
              OK there is the one example they give of printer ink - but that is all! Is the definition of "goods" something tangible that you can touch - or could it include for example a CBTNuggets subscription - or a training course?

The other thing that intrigues me is this "accounting period". Are we talking the 3 month payment period, or annual accounts. My reading is that it is the annual one.

Oh and before someone says "why don't you ask your accountant" I am asking him as well. However, second (qualified) opinions are always useful!
              According to HMRC:

Examples of relevant goods
              This isn’t an exhaustive list:

stationery and other office supplies to be used exclusively for the business
              gas and electricity used exclusively for your business
              fuel for a taxi owned by a taxi firm
              stock for a shop
              cleaning products to be used exclusively for the business
              hair products to use to provide hairdressing services
              standard software, provided on a disk.

Comment

Examples of supplies that aren’t relevant goods

accountancy fees, these are services
                advertising costs, these are services
                an item leased/hired to your business, this counts as services, as ownership will never transfer to your business
                food and drink for you or your staff, these are excluded goods
                fuel for a car this is excluded unless operating in the transport sector using your own, or a leased vehicle
                laptop or mobile phone for use by the business, this is excluded as it is capital expenditure see paragraph 15.1
                anything provided electronically, for example a downloaded magazine, these are services
                rent, this is a service
                software you download, this is a service
                software designed specifically for you (bespoke software), this is a service even if it is not supplied electronically

Comment

Examples of supplies that aren’t relevant goods

accountancy fees, these are services
                  advertising costs, these are services
                  an item leased/hired to your business, this counts as services, as ownership will never transfer to your business
                  food and drink for you or your staff, these are excluded goods
                  fuel for a car this is excluded unless operating in the transport sector using your own, or a leased vehicle
                  laptop or mobile phone for use by the business, this is excluded as it is capital expenditure see paragraph 15.1
                  anything provided electronically, for example a downloaded magazine, these are services
                  rent, this is a service
                  software you download, this is a service
                  software designed specifically for you (bespoke software), this is a service even if it is not supplied electronically
                  Just out of interest, Alan, do you reckon this bias against "services" is a stance taken as an anti-avoidance measure? It seems very 20th century in its outlook, otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
                    Just out of interest, Alan, do you reckon this bias against "services" is a stance taken as an anti-avoidance measure? It seems very 20th century in its outlook, otherwise.
                    No - it's because those traders they want moved into 16.5% don't buy goods as much as services. The list is constructed accordingly.

Comment

No - it's because those traders they want moved into 16.5% don't buy goods as much as services. The list is constructed accordingly.
                      Hmm. Maybe I'm seeing depth here which wasn't intended then?

I thought the key target for this legislation was the raft of two person companies being set up by unscrupulous outsourcers - basically providing (say) cleaning services through 20 or 30 different companies to take advantage of the Employers NI rebate and the advantages of FRS whilst staying under the £250k per company threshold. Clearly services are just as valid a cost for a small business as physical materials, and no-one, not even HMRC, could think otherwise. However, I'd imagine that if services were allowable towards the "relevant goods" then we'd see avoidance through a matrix of small companies cross-charging each other to the extent necessary for the FRS to still be worthwhile, and that's why the slightly odd definition for allowable costs has been adopted.

All a bit academic, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X