• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wife as a secretary or assistant or company director

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    MyCo doesn't run a pay roll. But I do pay divis. And I pay into my SIPP from MyCo.
    According to SueEllen you're going to get done for tax evasion then.

Unless her posts are a load of codswallop in this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      So do I, what I was getting at was if it's possibvle to pay into my wife's SIPP as well if she's a company officer. Which I thought was a bit of a long shot (but worth asking), however if I got her doing some work and paid her a salary that might change.

So my understanding is:

company officer (no salary) - no pension contributions
      salaried employee - yes to pension contributions (up to 40k/year?)

She already has a part time job with a salary so it would be complicated...
      She doesnt have to do any work for the company to be paid - being a director or company officer has significant legal responsibilities which you can be paid for in respect of those responsibilities.

If she is paid for that work then there is nothing to prevent the company from additionally paying into a pension plan for her directly.

So if the company pays her for the legal responsibilities that she has taken on, then the company can also pay into the pension plan for her - so get her £40k stashed away.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
        According to SueEllen you're going to get done for tax evasion then.

Unless her posts are a load of codswallop in this matter.
        That's if HMRC both to check up.

Though your accountant will probably say "No" and drop you as a client before that.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          That's if HMRC both to check up.

Though your accountant will probably say "No" and drop you as a client before that.
          My accountant, and the one before that, and the one before that, and my IFA have a different interpretation from you.

So I'll stick with the advice from experts, thanks, rather than the drivel posted here.

Comment

Yes. But they don't end up on the payroll, according to your earlier post. So how do they get paid?
            A stipend?

Comment

One positive thing, as you utter your last mortal breath on your death bed you can say to yourself 'Phew, got away with it' and let the wife fret about it.

That's if they've not got you by then.

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
                A stipend?
                A stipend is payment for work that does not necessarily representative of the work performed, nothing to do with how the payment is made.

So stipend can be paid by invoice or through payroll.

Comment

A stipend is payment for work that does not necessarily representative of the work performed, nothing to do with how the payment is made.

So stipend can be paid by invoice or through payroll.
                  What would be the pros and cons of either approach?

Comment

Working...
                  X