• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The £75k bank guarantee thing????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    May be prudent now to take the hit and take it out personally, esp as Plan B is starting...
    Yep, better this year than next

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      And I'm not sure how to reconcile what Cater Allen's own website says with the This Is Money link.
      The FSCS operates per banking license. I believe CA has its own banking license. However, they are a wholly owned subsidiary of Santander, much like Nationwide Commercial are a wholly owned subsidiary of Nationwide. In both these examples, the parent banks guarantee against losses. That's a separate issue than the FSCS.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        How does MassiveClientCo manage with this - surely they don't shift each £75k chunk to various sundry banks, what do they do?

I'm a bit worried as I might need three banks soon at this rate....

Ideas?
        Doesn't the £75,000 compensation scheme only apply to individuals and small businesses, therefore, massiveclientco wouldn't be covered in any eventuality?

Comment

Where does this 75k per account come from? is it in an account somewhere waiting for a banking crash?

Or is it just a facade to try and stop people panicking and doing a run on the banks after reading a few extreme tweets...

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
            Doesn't the £75,000 compensation scheme only apply to individuals and small businesses, therefore, massiveclientco wouldn't be covered in any eventuality?
            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Yep, better this year than next
              Going to have a chat with my accountant once the budget is announced, to see if there are other sweet spots emerging on the dividends/salary split as I don't want all my money tied up in ltd co.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've never had near to £75k in a bank, and am not likely to either.
                The one that worried me was the £50,000 protection limit on other investments such as shares held in a nominee account.
                I'm thinking about pension/SIPP funds here.

NOT protection against a fall in the share price of course, but against the account provider going bust or doing a moonlight.

Anyone done any research into the relative risks here? Is it worth having a load of 50k pension pots?

I guess the bigger risk is from a fall in share price, but that's a different matter.......

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                  The one that worried me was the £50,000 protection limit on other investments such as shares held in a nominee account.
                  As I understand it the 50k limit is only for cash. If the provider goes under, shares held in the nominee account remain ring-fenced and the worst is you lose access for a while. That's assuming no fraud involved.

As for the 75k limit, well, business account rates are tulip, it shows on public record (easily searchable these days), Hector could take a pop at any time... I would rather have the money out of the company or make company contributions to a SIPP.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                    I've never had near to £75k in a bank, and am not likely to either.
                    I'm thinking about pension/SIPP funds here.

NOT protection against a fall in the share price of course, but against the account provider going bust or doing a moonlight.

Anyone done any research into the relative risks here? Is it worth having a load of 50k pension pots?

I guess the bigger risk is from a fall in share price, but that's a different matter.......
                    Really? The way everyone goes on on here I thought everyone was at millionaire level!

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                      As I understand it the 50k limit is only for cash. If the provider goes under, shares held in the nominee account remain ring-fenced and the worst is you lose access for a while. That's assuming no fraud involved.

As for the 75k limit, well, business account rates are tulip, it shows on public record (easily searchable these days), Hector could take a pop at any time... I would rather have the money out of the company or make company contributions to a SIPP.
                      I think you're right - after years of spunking contracting money on shiite, I went all opposite and paid myself a pittance to build up the warchest, suspect I've gone too far....

Got two kids at uni, personally skint keeping them going, sod it, I'm having a curved telly.....

Comment

Working...
                      X