• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited Company buying a property abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about if your company buys the property & then rents it out during the year as a business?
    Obviously all rentals would go through the company & any final sale of the property again would be the companies. However, the company would set the rental price accordingly & could always offer 'late deals' to anybody who would like to stay there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
      What about if your company buys the property & then rents it out during the year as a business?
      Obviously all rentals would go through the company & any final sale of the property again would be the companies. However, the company would set the rental price accordingly & could always offer 'late deals' to anybody who would like to stay there.
      And make a truly bad job of marketing it? perhaps so that only family knows about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
        Did you read the thread? As long as it's made available to the Director once in the year then there is a BIK for the full year. Add on top of that any requirements to disclose related party transactions, and all of a sudden you're liable for tax on income that you never received from your family.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Not knowing anything about it previously I now understand this subject a lot more and to be honest it sounds more hassle than it's worth. Bloody HMRC, never miss a trick! I'll just have to save up!

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Did you read the thread? As long as it's made available to the Director once in the year then there is a BIK for the full year. Add on top of that any requirements to disclose related party transactions, and all of a sudden you're liable for tax on income that you never received from your family.
            It doesn't say that at all.

It says that if the property is ONLY available to the director and their family then the director would be charged a BIK for the whole year's use. If it isn't, then Extra Statutory Concession A91 can be applied for so a BIK for the time used would apply.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Limited Company buying a property abroad

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              It doesn't say that at all.

It says that if the property is ONLY available to the director and their family then the director would be charged a BIK for the whole year's use. If it isn't, then Extra Statutory Concession A91 can be applied for so a BIK for the time used would apply.
              Well, this is where we can argue the minutae.

For the BIK calculation, it appears that yes, if the property is only available to the director and family then BIK is charged for a full year.

ESC A91 only applies if the property is made available to other employees. Given that a PSC generally only has a director and possibly his/her spouse as employees, then it could be argued that A91 would not apply for BIK relief as the property already falls under the first head of BIK (only director and family).

What's not clear is how and whether the provision of the property at cheap rates to non-family members and non-employees impacts the calculation of BIK. I would suggest that the BIK calculation stands on it's own merits of the provision of property to directors/employees and is separate to whether the property is also provided to friends, and therefore is chargeable in full.

For Corp Tax HMRC could deem the cheap or free rent to friends to be uncommercial and restrict any expenses claimed against the property as those expenses would not be incurred wholly and exclusively in rental business.

Comment

Thanks again for the responses, so let me turn this around then. Can my IT company purchase the property abroad purely as a business venture, i.e. to rent out to the general public so not deemed as personal use? Or would an IT company NOT be allowed to invest in a non IT related venture?

Comment

Originally posted by The Tester View Post
                  Thanks everyone. Not knowing anything about it previously I now understand this subject a lot more and to be honest it sounds more hassle than it's worth. Bloody HMRC, never miss a trick! I'll just have to save up!
                  And even if they do, they will slap an APN on it....

Comment

Thanks again for the responses, so let me turn this around then. Can my IT company purchase the property abroad purely as a business venture, i.e. to rent out to the general public so not deemed as personal use? Or would an IT company NOT be allowed to invest in a non IT related venture?
                    Have you also considered what would happen when you stopped contracting? Having a property in the company might complicate matters if you were looking to wind up and claim ER for example.

Comment

There is no such rule...

You can invest and there is no such restrictions but you will have issues when it comes to winding up and also certain countries require you to have a local company registration to own properties..if amounts are small best to draw Dividends and buy...

Comment

Working...
                      X