• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website Statistics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: re

AtW - What do you need? How cheap do you want to go.

That is a very sensible choice imo -it's exactly what I've done - need to upgrade now through traffic of course but KwikBreaks has been up there for about 3 years at around £15 a year - it's easy to make a profit if that's all the hosting costs and you discount your time.

Comment

initially i dont need much really - I do own .co.uk domain for my future business, any host would do - I plan to start writing articles and capture opt in email addresses in anticipation of launch - by the time I launch search engines will know me better than if I were to launch immediately.

I have about 5 sites in the USA but I want UK hosting for my UK site cuz no latency (feels faster) - looking at somethins <£10 a month. I have big fk off 2U server for when the time is right - I think I will get dedicated hosting in Q3'04 and consolidate all my sites in one place - it will work out cheaper and more powerful.

My time will be free

Comment

i am gonna host my business site with some cheap provider, for now.

Comment

I meant what software - for instance if you need server side java you can rule out most cheap hosting that I'm aware of - mind you I don't do java so I haven't looked for it.

For £10 a month you have plenty to chose from.

Comment

re

UK-based Java Servlet/JSP hosting : www.clearscene.net

Comment

I dont do java, pfft

Apache+PHP+mod_perl+MySQL will do me fine.

The software I will sell initially will be client side based written in .NET.

I am not worried too much about hosting, these days rates are very cheap - unless you are a big company and you get ripped off. My ex-employer was paying £1mln a year for hosting - that included rip-off rent of a few SUN boxes.

Comment

re

"My ex-employer was paying £1mln a year for hosting."

One million pounds a year? That's just being silly.

Comment

50% was hardware rent - rip off style during .COM era.

Comment

> My ex-employer was paying £1mln a year for hosting

you didn't work for PCG by any chance did you :rollin

Comment

no, in our case it was genuine fk up unlike you know what I mean

Comment

Working...
                      X