• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Orient Express

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=rootsnall;316531]
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post

For scenery I'd look into the Canadian thing, I think there is a cross rockies touristy train line. I roughed it around the States on a cheapo train pass and large chunks of it are a bit flat and uninspiring especially across the top end of the country, atleast on the line I travelled on anyway. As you cross the border into Canada the change in scenery can be quite dramatic.
    I've looked into the cross-Canada journey (Toronto to Vancouver) and have been told the bit frmo Vancouver to the Rockies is the best bit.
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
      Like at the Grand Canyon?
      I've heard the Tate Modern is fairly dangerous at the moment.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Just stumbled across this:
        http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle2615941.ece

Top 10 rail journeys
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post

Top 10 rail journeys
          Like you're not a trainspotter and have this in your favourites list...

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
            Done it a few times to Venice, and from Vencie back to london and there is nothing like it!!

The Mrs will love it. Yes its on the pricy side, bit it really gets you in the mood for a great holiday. Plus I would say it has to be on the list of things to do in a lifetime.
            Why?

ISTM that all you are paying for is a lot of pampering. If I wanted to spend 2000 notes on the pampering, I'd chose somewhere a damned sight more comfortable than a train.

tim

Comment

What about the Tram Car Restaurant in Melbourne? Fab food and cheaper and nicer than Venice.

Comment

Back to the original point. I'm sure I saw somewhere that you can get 30-35% off the OE by using Nectar points.

I went on it up to the Ryder Cup a few years ago and it was alright. I wouldn't particularly rush to get on it again. The wife will love it though.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  That is the conclusion I was coming to. Train out there to kick start the holiday and fly back afterwards.

Next thing is the hotel. I was thinking about this one

Try this place http://www.veniceby.com/ always had good results.

Get a water taxi back to the airport (about 100 euros) well worth it, and wear a jumper.

Just flying back with Mrs scooterscot from mauritius, going business class, well worth it, jumping the q'a always gives me a cheap thrill
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Just flying back with Mrs scooterscot from mauritius, going business class, well worth it, jumping the q'a always gives me a cheap thrill
                    And probably cheaper than going OE to Venice
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post

Top 10 rail journeys
                      I read the journey from Brighton to Hong Kong - sounded like utter hell to me. If that's one of the top ten, I'll stick to flying.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X