• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!

Sorry I know I posted about this before but I can't find it, does anyone know how to recover sms from an iphone via mac, does itunes overwrite the previous or is there an old file somewhere, please help!!!

If you click your username, a small menu will appear with an entry called View Forum Posts.

Click that to see a list of all your previous posts and pick your previous post from the list.

I believe the thread you are after is titled - Another question from thicko.

Comment

Thanks Clippy, I know I am thick, but that is a bit different and the response for a PC not a mac, I'm just trying to find a way of recovering my sms not itunes if that makes sense

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
        Thanks Clippy, I know I am thick, but that is a bit different and the response for a PC not a mac, I'm just trying to find a way of recovering my sms not itunes if that makes sense

Cheers
        Have you done a Google search or tried posting on a Mac forum?

TBH, you'll probably get a better response that way.

Good luck.

Comment

Try this thread.

Comment

Thanks Nick

I've seen that one, unfortunately I synced the phone before I realised, was wondering if there were hidden files anywhere I've just been on the phone to mac and they say no, boooo!!!

Comment

Don't know anything about this really but ignorance can be a blessing.

You are synching your iPhone to your mac? Have you got time machine backing up your mac?

Guess from your comments you never synched phone to mac but rather the other way around.
              Last edited by OrangeHopper; 30 April 2010, 17:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
                Thanks Nick

I've seen that one, unfortunately I synced the phone before I realised, was wondering if there were hidden files anywhere I've just been on the phone to mac and they say no, boooo!!!
                Have you had a look in /Users/Boudica/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup? There will be a folder in there (or possibly more than one) with a very long hexadecimal name, which will contain any backups. Copy them somewhere safe, and you can then experiment (on a fresh copy of the copy each time) with various techniques for extracting the contents.

Aha: have a look at this approach - I sorted my backups by date, had a look in the 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata file, and it contains a SQLLite database with all my text messages after the database definition - you can open it in TextEdit if you just want to retrieve the content of the messages, or try the technique outlined in that article if you want to restore them to the phone.

If you previously had the phone synced with another machine, you should be able to find the backups on there and move them across.

Comment

Think you can Option-click (on apple keyb - maybe Ctl-click on PC) on the restore button in iTunes and choose a previous backup.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Have you had a look in /Users/Boudica/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup? There will be a folder in there (or possibly more than one) with a very long hexadecimal name, which will contain any backups. Copy them somewhere safe, and you can then experiment (on a fresh copy of the copy each time) with various techniques for extracting the contents.

Aha: have a look at this approach - I sorted my backups by date, had a look in the 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata file, and it contains a SQLLite database with all my text messages after the database definition - you can open it in TextEdit if you just want to retrieve the content of the messages, or try the technique outlined in that article if you want to restore them to the phone.

If you previously had the phone synced with another machine, you should be able to find the backups on there and move them across.
                    Thanks, I will have a look in the morning, I fear I've lost it...but cross your fingers, if i get them back I will buy you a hundred pints! and big packet of crisps!

Comment

Working...
                    X