• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop memory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Except when I went to install windows it got 57% through and shut itself down
    That sounds like the RAM is still bad. I know from past painful experience that bad RAM = Windows won't install.

Seriously: try some Crucial memory. If that doesn't work, you have a more serious problem (i.e. motherboard)

Comment

Thanks for all your responses.

I have ruled out dirty contacts.
      I have ruled out cosmic rays.
      I have ruled out sunspots.

I have discovered that when replacing RAM in a laptop, one should :

First remove the battery.
      Second depress the power button for 10 seconds (this resets the CMOS)
      Install memory.
      Replace battery.

Off and running.

Windows installed, but the HDD keeps reporting itself as varying sizes so maybe the SATA controller is naffed. I note it had been overheating so I dismantled it and "hoovered" it out. This stopped the overheating and allowed Windows to be installed, but during the installation process it wants to reboot and then it won't come back up. I let it cool and then booted and it said missing operating system, when I actually expected it to move to phase 2 of the windows install.

Any machine that misbehaves when it warms up must have had some heat damage IMVHO.

Conclusion, I bought a rucker.

Frakin ebay.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
      X