• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Database rebuild question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    If RAM is cheaper than an hour of my time and gets job done...
    This solution simply kicks the problem down the road. Far better, IMH and professional O, to identify the real problem and resolve that than to paper over the crack until a catastrophic failure.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Interesting. What were the issues?
      Even if you write a custom module for suiteCRM it can be a pain to explicity mark stuff that is essential for Landlord and tenant compliance, for example maintenance Gas/Fire certs. Other stuff such as Section 8/21. Its not great for handling processes such as eviction too!

To be fair I overlooked this and I was happy with SuiteCRM until I was very ill in both 2018 and 2019. People who were doing the work in my absence brought the property side to my attention in 2018. They were having issues with suitecrm. I built this on to the temp solution I had for handling for the business deal advertising. This solution was built in 2017 and was designed to last 6-9 months but my health took over in 2018 as I think you are aware.

In April last year I bolted everything else in again as a solution to last 12 months.

SuiteCRM was not that great for holding detailed info on things like pubs hotels or recruitment agencies for sale either.

Don't get me wrong for running a consultancy SuiteCRM is pretty close to perfect.
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        For Access - yes!
        Here's another idea: migrate to SQL Server.
        This might be a medium-term solution if you're wedded to your current configuration and work-flow.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

This might be a medium-term solution if you're wedded to your current configuration and work-flow.
          Its certainly an option.
          I have considered this as I could easily do the work myself.
          I Just want to see whats out there at the moment.
          Its a good time to change things around a bit as well if needed.
          If I could get a solution done before mass eviction season that would be ideal!
          Ideally I want a solution thats good for 3-5 years plus with the usual caveats and security policies.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

This solution simply kicks the problem down the road. Far better, IMH and professional O, to identify the real problem and resolve that than to paper over the crack until a catastrophic failure.
            Gets you extra time to identify the problem if there is one. Who knows maybe next year he won't need that database anyway and all that work would be waste of time.

Comment

Gets you extra time to identify the problem if there is one. Who knows maybe next year he won't need that database anyway and all that work would be waste of time.
              Oh trust me, it will still be needed!

I am finally getting work less hours earn more money than working full time thing licked!

The current business and levels of business will be stronger especially in dealmaking.

Some consultancy is being done by partners, that may well increase.

The only thing that might see some sort of a decrease is the property if I sell some of the flats that currently have some very troublesome tenants in. I will be keeping the retail premises.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

How much more time does one need to identify that one is running one's business on legacy technology? Your solution, such as it is, does not resolve the problems that have already been identified. Whilst I understand your expedient position, it is not one upon which I would run a business.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

+1 for migrating to SQL Server but I'd be inclined to download Developer Edition and have control over the migration more.

Should take four hours from download to migration complete.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Monday.com

Wack it all in there

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Monday.com

Wack it all in there
                      Really???
                      Didn't this domain once have something to do with donkeys copulating?
                      Former IPSE member
                      My Website

Comment

Working...
                      X