• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing Ramadan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it's not so much fasting as eating loads at odd hours of the day?

Comment

Folks, I appreciate you don't know what is Ramadan rules, but the rules are no eating from sun-rise to sun-set, the tradition is to have a meal at sun-set and a pre sun-rise meal i.e. around 12 to 14 hours no food... these are the rules I didn't make them up. However up to now I haven't been able to get up pre sun-rise to have the second meal, so I end up with a 23 hour fast..

I had really good intentions to get up at 4:30 am this morning, I set up the alarm on my mobile... only I woke up at 6:30 and realised my mobile was left on silent .any how had to go on another day of 23 hour fast, never mind, hope I'll wake up tomorrow at 4:30 am.

Another 2-3 days to go.

Comment

Sandy

Comment

Well last day is either Thursday or Friday. In North America its already been decided that is Friday. But here its still done in a very funny fashion..with one year Eid on three separate days! Come on...all the mosques are supposed to be under one umbrella yet they break on cultural lines sometimes.

So Sandy lets say Pakistan declares last fast is Friday, India declares its Thursday and Saudi declares it is Friday. which one will you follow?

BTW: check this link http://www.crescentmoonwatch.org/nextnewmoon.htm

looks like it should be Friday.

BTW Kudos for making it this far. You're better than most of the muslims I know.
          Last edited by lilelvis2000; 9 October 2007, 19:35.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Sandy, are you going to follow up with a bit Jihad, a few suicide bombings and maybe 72 virgins for supper?

Just wondered like.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              Well last day is either Thursday or Friday. In North America its already been decided that is Friday. But here its still done in a very funny fashion..with one year Eid on three separate days! Come on...all the mosques are supposed to be under one umbrella yet they break on cultural lines sometimes.

So Sandy lets say Pakistan declares last fast is Friday, India declares its Thursday and Saudi declares it is Friday. which one will you follow?

BTW: check this link http://www.crescentmoonwatch.org/nextnewmoon.htm

looks like it should be Friday.

BTW Kudos for making it this far. You're better than most of the muslims I know.
              Thanks lilelvis, the experience is amazing, I feel so much stronger for doing it, plus did plenty of reflection.

As recommended by others I will follow what the Islamic Cultural Centre in London advises re Eid day, I have been following their Ramadan table, I also have Sat dish and have Saudi and Jazeera TV, so will watch and see what they decide on Thursday night, not really worried, I know its not allowed to fast on the first day of Eid, but if you want the truth am thinking of doing more fasting after that, perhaps at the weekends or at least once during the week.

I am soooooo looking forward to Eid going to buy presents too

The only thing I haven't thought about is Zakat, not sure what to do about that, in fact I don't really know the rules, is it a specific percentage like the church, if l just give money to any charity does this count? If I am in London it wont be difficult to find homeless people to give money to, but I don't see any homeless people in Oxford!
              Last edited by SandyDown; 9 October 2007, 19:55.

Comment

I think zakat is 2% of everything you have, assets, savings etc.. Paid to the mosque or a charity? There is also a flat rate payment of around £3, I think that just goes to the mosque. Suppose you'll have to read up on it.

I suppose , find someone selling the big issue and give them the cash?
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Thanks - will ask some people tomorrow, but 2% sounds vague, i.e. does assets mean money in the bank and savings in money, or does it include my house value etc?? (I do have a mortgage btw, does this count as an asset cuz of the equity )

Sorry I know you probably don't know the answer either, will ask and try to google and read on it will report back

Comment

2%? Christians, I'm told, have to pay 10%. Was this a marketing ploy by Mohammed?

"Join my religion and you'll benefit from an 8% reduction in charitable giving. ( Don't join my religion and you'll be put to death you infidel dog )."
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                      Thanks - will ask some people tomorrow, but 2% sounds vague, i.e. does assets mean money in the bank and savings in money, or does it include my house value etc?? (I do have a mortgage btw, does this count as an asset cuz of the equity )

Sorry I know you probably don't know the answer either, will ask and try to google and read on it will report back
                      Are going the whole hog with this Muslim thing?

Subjugation, covering up your face?

Comment

Working...
                      X