• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Not really.

I just realised why I'd spent 20 years working as an IT Contractor away from home. I didn't love or even like my wife.

End of.
    Fair enough. Best to get out asap then. Sounds like it has ended well?

Comment

DBA,

fair enough, I know very little about FFJ.

He he, I thought the SQL Server jibe would get you going.

The snobbery amongst dba's eh.

Now, get back to running those statistics.

Luce, what is your perfection ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        He he, I thought the SQL Server jibe would get you going.

The snobbery amongst dba's eh.
        You have opened the very gates of Hell! Oracle is what's known in the biz as an enterprise-class RDBMS; SQL Server is known as a silly toy for retarded folk with bed wetting issues, who don't mind losing data every day, and who can't do anything with their "database", without relying on an icon to click.

You started it!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Fair enough. Best to get out asap then. Sounds like it has ended well?
          You tell me how a wealthy woman can convince a court that she needs half of my pension.

Oh yeah, very fecking well indeed. Not in the least acrimonious. The nasty twisted vindictive evil bitch!

I'm down to just the one boat. How mean is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            You tell me how a wealthy woman can convince a court that she needs half of my pension.

Oh yeah, very fecking well indeed. Not in the least acrimonious. The nasty twisted vindictive evil bitch!

I'm down to just the one boat. How mean is that?

Next!

Comment

DBA,

I like Oracle, I like that it is not intuitive and keeps the riff raff out by not having point and click controls like SQL Server, but having said that, it does my head in when it starts chucking our ora-123456 error messages on the command line when I am trying to start or stop it.

Damn thing, I had to restart a prod system the other day, short of time, damn system wouldn't shutdown, it was hanging on stopping the database.

Killed the shutdown process and went into sqlplus on the command line, tried to shut it down response was some ora-123456 crap messages, tried to start it up said it was already running, couldnt run any sql's so I did a shutdown immediate didn't work, ok, next step, shutdown abort, that told it, it went down, stopped and started the listener, started it up, did a quick sql to check it was available and started the system sorted

Milan.

Comment

DBA,

I like Oracle, I like that it is not intuitive and keeps the riff raff out by not having point and click controls like SQL Server, but having said that, it does my head in when it starts chucking our ora-123456 error messages on the command line when I am trying to start or stop it.

Damn thing, I had to restart a prod system the other day, short of time, damn system wouldn't shutdown, it was hanging on stopping the database.

Killed the shutdown process and went into sqlplus on the command line, tried to shut it down response was some ora-123456 crap messages, tried to start it up said it was already running, couldnt run any sql's so I did a shutdown immediate didn't work, ok, next step, shutdown abort, that told it, it went down, stopped and started the listener, started it up, did a quick sql to check it was available and started the system sorted

Milan.

Feck me!!! All that just to change a bleedin' tape?

Comment

Dude,

contractin' innit, you gotta get the most out of the job and keep the metre ticking

an' Christmas is coming, bills to pay

Milan.

Comment

Milan.
                    Which version? 8i & 9i can do this. Later patches may help. If 10g, go to latest version... do that anyway, 9i all but ancient history, now.

Never be fearful of using shutdown abort - Oracle will return from the dead almost always. Finally, you are in Archivelog mode, aren't you?

Comment

tar cvf /dev/rmt0 /oracledatabasewhatIjustshutdown

Happy Christmas Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X