• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Direct Debits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct Debits

If you were to see me you would never believe it but i have recently joined a gym. The gym i have joined work on a year contract that you sign into and set up a direct debit for. After the year you can leave but before that you are still liable to pay for the years subscription.

I joined a few weeks ago and my first months direct debit was taken out of my bank and then put striaght back in again. Having spoken to the bank they said that the Direct Debit was cancelled by the GYM.

1. Now my question is should i ask them about it ? or just continue to use the gym for free and pretend i don't know what had gone on with bank.
    2. If someone cancels a Direct Debit can they start it up again or would it need a new mandate to be created and signed by me.
    3. If after so many months they realise and i set up direct debit again are they entitled to get the back subscriptions that have not been collected and can they do it in one go.

experience and advice please
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
    If you were to see me you would never believe it but i have recently joined a gym. The gym i have joined work on a year contract that you sign into and set up a direct debit for. After the year you can leave but before that you are still liable to pay for the years subscription.

I joined a few weeks ago and my first months direct debit was taken out of my bank and then put striaght back in again. Having spoken to the bank they said that the Direct Debit was cancelled by the GYM.

1. Now my question is should i ask them about it ? or just continue to use the gym for free and pretend i don't know what had gone on with bank.
    2. If someone cancels a Direct Debit can they start it up again or would it need a new mandate to be created and signed by me.
    3. If after so many months they realise and i set up direct debit again are they entitled to get the back subscriptions that have not been collected and can they do it in one go.

Yes I would say that as soon as they realise they'll be claiming their dosh back. Saying that they probably won't realise - go for it.

Comment

The gym cannot cancel the direct debit - but thay can stop calling it. Clearly they beleived they had drawn the cash in error and returned it.

If the DD has been cancelled then a new mandate is required.

Yes, you are still liable for the charges. If there is a DD in place they could generally just take the lot in one go -also you could reclaim it because it is contrary to youre DD agreement. However that does not alter the fact that you do owe the money.

Since you know the money has been returned the gym could argue you are trying to obtain goods or services by deception.

Comment

all sounds like i need to tell them at lunch time then.
        Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

My advice is don't bother with direct debits. Change everything to standing orders and have them go out on a date which suits you, not them. That way you will get less surprises as they cannot spuriously just take varying amounts on dates that suit them leaving you exposed to possible bank charges when unexpected amounts go out and leave you in the red.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

all sounds like i need to tell them at lunch time then.

I wouldn't say anything, Just don't spend the money! Leave it in the bank each month.

Chances are they will just take it next month, but if it goes on for 6 months or so then they discover it, I'm sure you will be able to negotiate a discounted rate being their mistake and all.

After all you are a contractor, contractors have don't check bank accounts!!!!
            l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Instead of worrying about this, get your lard-arse in the gym!

Comment

Working...
              X