• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
    Almost too subtle that one. I guess it sorts the oldies from us slightly younger ones. "Us" not including you obviously.

Received an email this morning from an agency I've never been in touch with asking me to send my latest CV and let them know my current situation, so the spam they send in future will be more targeted. Sorely tempted to reply saying "F off you nosy spamming twats", but no reply means they can't be sure they've got the right email address.
    That's right, just carry on pissing off the people who find you work.

Didn't I see you get fired from "The Apprentice" last night?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
      That's right, just carry on pissing off the people who find you work.

Didn't I see you get fired from "The Apprentice" last night?

They're too fickle to let a bit of cold shoulder treatment put them off. They need us more than we need them.

Apprentice? Not unless David Gest was on there. A mate's wife says I look like him, the blind b*tch. Yeah, I've got dark hair and plenty of money in the bank, massive similarity.
      "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

So I got emailed a job this morning which sounded great, but it was only £300 a day. Centre of London, which I just couldn't do on that rate.

I replied saying "the job is an ideal match, but I wouldn't do it for any less than £500. And I mean not a penny less".

Low and behold, the guy rings me up and all of a sudden £500 is fine. Possibly telephone interview next week. Fricken Pathway - they're right rip off merchants!

Just pay the going rate you bunch of tards and stop wasting everyones time!

Grrrrr
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
          So I got emailed a job this morning which sounded great, but it was only £300 a day. Centre of London, which I just couldn't do on that rate.

I replied saying "the job is an ideal match, but I wouldn't do it for any less than £500. And I mean not a penny less".

Low and behold, the guy rings me up and all of a sudden £500 is fine. Possibly telephone interview next week. Fricken Pathway - they're right rip off merchants!

Grrrrr
          Get that in writing love. The next thing is that you will go for interview, get the gig then they will say the client is only going to pay the 300. Or they will block you for any other agent.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            Get that in writing love. The next thing is that you will go for interview, get the gig then they will say the client is only going to pay the 300. Or they will block you for any other agent.
            yep, just received the email with it in writing.

I is not a stupid.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Grrrrr
              Sally, you demand a high rate and spend lots of time on the bench. Surely it's better to work more even if it is for less?
              I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                Sally, you demand a high rate and spend lots of time on the bench. Surely it's better to work more even if it is for less?

I've spent 3 months on the bench in the last 4 years.

So, erm, no.
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                  Even dealing with some good recruiters (the few) hasn't changed my view about the industry at large. It's corrupt and filled with malpractice, and that goes across the board irrespective of what market or candidate profile they are dealing with.
                  Aye Denny

Does this surprise you ?

There's an old Spannish proverb -

Honour and Money does not belong in the same purse ...

Having worked in the Humanatarian/Aid Sector I can tell you that the malpractice there and financial irregularites are even worse than the private sector.

So it goes.

What to do ?

Pills ?
                  The Whip ?
                  Politics ?
                  Daytime Television ?
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 4 May 2007, 10:20.

Comment

Who?

I'm talking about the ones who call you out of the blue.

"Oh Miss XXX, we have a fantastic oportunity for you....so where are you working at the moment?,...Free in 2 weeks you say, will they require anyone else do you know?.....so do you have any other gigs lined up?.....interviews?....talking to anyone?......Actually I dont think this gig will be suitable for you, bye"

Why do they bother wasting my ******* time?

Ring me if you have a job, else just **** off you stupid annoying ******* ****!
                    *puts on intelligent-looking glasses*

Let's dissect this, shall we?

The aim of the agent is NOT to get you a job - it's to get him a commission.

So;

Ag:
                    Oh Miss XXX, we have a fantastic oportunity for you" [sweeten up naive contractor to enable me to reel her in...]

Ag:
                    "....so where are you working at the moment?" - [if you're talking to me there must be a potential vacancy!]

Ag:
                    "...Free in 2 weeks you say,[BINGO!] will they require anyone else do you know? [and will you give me names - it doesn't matter though - I've got 2 weeks to find them...]

Ag:
                    ".....so do you have any other gigs lined up?.....interviews?....talking to anyone?" [tell me and I'll get in there first]

Ag:
                    [I've squeezed as much as I can out of this one - on to the next]"......Actually I dont think this gig will be suitable for you, bye"

Still - lesson learned...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X